Thread: Saucy Salamander

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Saucy Salamander

Well, this is a pleasant surprise! I was using Ubuntu back in the days before Unity. When the switch was made, I was horified! I ran away kicking and screaming. How dare they change my beloved desktop environment! Well, Xubuntu and Mint (with MATE) did their job of placating me.

Enter a week ago. I decided to intall 13.10 on a virtual machine. WOW! Polish and precission! This is absolutly beautiful. I now have Saucy fully installed on two machines. It's fast and reliable. I've had minimal problems getting things the way I want them. The biggest problem I had wasn't with Ubuntu but Thunderbird. That was rapidly resolved right here in these forums.

I gotta say, I am very pleased with the Salamander. I am looking forward to continued and long term use with Trusty Tahr in April. Good job, Ubuntu. Top notch release!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Saucy Salamander

Glad you like it.
    asus p6x58d premium mb bios 15.01 dual lg blue ray burners
    core I7 4.0Ghs
    ati 6950 hd video card asus 24 inch hd monitor
    12 gigs kingston hyper x ddr3 1600 Mhs

Beans

I'm hating on Unity so I can't share your enthusiasm for Ubuntu per se, but nonetheless the 13.10 'buntus I've installed are working very well for me. XFCE was already great at 4.8 and the improvements to Gnome Shell are laudable. Looking forward to the next LTS which includes, hopefully, more robust support for optimus graphics given some help from NVIDIA (not holding my breath though.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It was a fun experiment while it lasted but, alas, I am back to Xubuntu and trusty ol' XFCE. Unity has had way more polish than I remember from a while back. However, I still cannot accept the lack of not being able to make a Linux distro mine. The whole immovable launcher on the left (I think I read about a hack but didn't care to experiment further) just doesn't do it for me. Xubuntu 13.10 and XFCE 4.10 on the other hand, POW!!!
    Last edited by bug67; November 27th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.