Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving from a VM to a real box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

moving from a VM to a real box

Hello, everyone. I've got a server running on a VirtualBox VM. It is fully configured and offering services to some hosts on a LAN. I just received a PC and would like to move the whole server (12.04.3) on the real box. Any info / link / howto / help would be much appreciated. I can't figure out how to start and wouldn't like to spend a week to reinvent the wheel because I am sure it was already invented. Thank you.
    Last edited by clearski; October 27th, 2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo in the title

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: moving from a VM to a real box

a) why not make the new PC a VM host and just migrate the VM using "Export ..."?
    b) Backup from the VM, then restore to the new box.

I've used both methods successfully with Linux systems. Windows is a completely different problem, however. Too many are-the-hardware-similar chekcs and DRM stuff, I suppose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello, TheFu!

Thank you for the answer.

It will be a headless PC and won't run any GUI. I think I'll install the OS again and try to move some config files, just to see if it works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by clearski View Post
    Hello, TheFu!

Thank you for the answer.

It will be a headless PC and won't run any GUI. I think I'll install the OS again and try to move some config files, just to see if it works.
    I recently posted a non-trivial backup script to my blog that should work with a minimal install on the real target hardware. http://blog.jdpfu.com/2013/10/20/rdiff-backup-real-use - be certain to use dpkg --get-selections and --set-selections ... to save and restore all the installed packages. Stuff installed outside the package management system is completely up to you. I avoid that stuff.

Just copying some settings probably isn't enough.

Incremental backups take 1-3 minutes, though the 1st backup will take as long as a copy does. To restore to a new machine takes about 30 min - 15 to load a minimal Ubuntu OS, then 15 to restore all the settings, data and reinstall the prior list-o-packages. Simple, simple. Ending with a replicated server in all the most important ways. Only the network settings usually need to be manually tweaked in /etc/udev/ to clean out the old eth[0-4] MAC addresses.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 29th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'd probably just run KVM and convert the VM over that way. I seem to recall doing that with my original Vbox VMs, but I don't remember the actual conversion process except that it involved converting the virtual hard drive to RAW and then converting that to QCOW2.

And here it is...
    http://cheznick.net/main/content/con...tualbox-to-kvm

Woo!
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you, guys.

Let me read a little bit about your solutions and see what I can do.

I've never heard of KVM & Qemu until now... so it needs some reading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    VBoxManage clonehd /path/to/hard_drive_image/guesthd.vdi /path/to/hard_drive_image.img --format raw
    So in theory you could burn this image to the new drive and it would boot?
    Or am I reading this wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Code:
    VBoxManage clonehd /path/to/hard_drive_image/guesthd.vdi /path/to/hard_drive_image.img --format raw
    So in theory you could burn this image to the new drive and it would boot?
    Or am I reading this wrong?
    Doubtful. Raw is a disk format for VMs and includes a partition table that probably is NOT compatible with real HDDs.

There really isn't any way shorter than doing the backup, installing a base OS on the new machine, then doing a restore. Should take about an hour total - depending on the size of the OS+data to be moved. While the backup happens, install the fresh, limited OS on the new box .. should be 15 min or so.

Still ... Try it - nothing to lose since it is a new box, right? Try the 'raw' disk too ... If something fails, copy/paste the exact command and errors back here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Doubtful. Raw is a disk format for VMs and includes a partition table that probably is NOT compatible with real HDDs.

There really isn't any way shorter than doing the backup, installing a base OS on the new machine, then doing a restore. Should take about an hour total - depending on the size of the OS+data to be moved. While the backup happens, install the fresh, limited OS on the new box .. should be 15 min or so.

Still ... Try it - nothing to lose since it is a new box, right? Try the 'raw' disk too ... If something fails, copy/paste the exact command and errors back here.
    I guess you could try cloning the VM and restoring it to a physical box, but that could cause problems with hardware mismatch. I'd probably go with "install KVM and mess with it"
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I guess you could try cloning the VM and restoring it to a physical box, but that could cause problems with hardware mismatch. I'd probably go with "install KVM and mess with it"
    Hardware mismatch doesn't usually matter to Linux. SATA = SATA and a different MAC address will just make eth1. If virtio was used for the partitions inside the /etc/fstab, then the vda -> sda and that's about it. I think everything else is detected at boot. I've moved HDDs between physical systems lots - it barely mattered.

Oh --- but be certain to remove the Guest Additions before moving.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 30th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast