Thread: New to UBUNTU

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy New to UBUNTU

I have Installed UBUNTU latest version on my PC I am unable to connect to a network printer
    the printer is HP LaserJet Pro M1213nf can someone help
    Also another user can access the share folder on my Ubuntu pc
    but I cannot access a windows pc shared folder from my Ubuntu pc
    I am new to Ubuntu, with minimum knowledge of computers.
    we plan to buy new pcs for our office and was wondering if I should go in for windows os preloaded with brands such as hp/dell etc which will give trouble free and instant on operations or should we invest in free os such as Ubuntu, but will there be no hassles and will it be a smooth ride without problems.

please advise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New to UBUNTU

HP indicates that a printer driver exists: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...213nf_mfp.html and that 13.10 is supported so go to that page and follow instructions. I don't have that printer so I don't have first-hand experience to help any further. The other question is more general: Is it easier to go open-source? That all depends. It's perfectly possible that you run into a snag and that the effort to solve it is important. On the other hand, if a vendor of non-open solutions fails or is taken over by a competitor that stops development that can also put you in a heap of problems. So a real easy answer doesn't exist.

Beans

Thank you ,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Oommen_George View Post
    I have Installed UBUNTU latest version on my PC I am unable to connect to a network printer
    the printer is HP LaserJet Pro M1213nf can someone help
    Also another user can access the share folder on my Ubuntu pc
    but I cannot access a windows pc shared folder from my Ubuntu pc
    I am new to Ubuntu, with minimum knowledge of computers.
    we plan to buy new pcs for our office and was wondering if I should go in for windows os preloaded with brands such as hp/dell etc which will give trouble free and instant on operations or should we invest in free os such as Ubuntu, but will there be no hassles and will it be a smooth ride without problems.

please advise

One problem at a time. How is the network printer connected? To a windows machine or another ubuntu machine?

Beans

The Network Printer is connected directly on the local lan switch, it stands independent of any machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Network Printer is connected directly on the local lan switch, it stands independent of any machine.
    you need to go into system settings > Printers> and add the printer.

Hplip is installed by default so it should be no problem.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Linu...g_and_Printing

[edit] I would also install the package hplip-gui

Also your printer HP LaserJet Pro M1213nf is supported.
    Last edited by philinux; October 27th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

will there be no hassles and will it be a smooth ride without problems.
    You should start a thread asking about the pros and cons of MS Windows vs Ubuntu -- but I can tell you honestly, having use both for quite a few years, NO OS can guarantee that you will have "ho hassles" and a "smooth ride without problems". For evidence of this, just visit the various Windows and Linux support forums -- and you will see problems being posted for all those OSs.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have a look at the site mentioned on my sig line and then decide for yourself. The amount of help you've already received on this site should be proof that Linux people will go out of their way to help you at no cost. Now, as for Microsoft, well . . . Speaking for myself, I am, in a manner of speaking, paid to answer Linux questions -- with the income I receive from my Microsoft customers who can't afford to pay Microsoft's rates for "professional" support. But decide for yourself and the best of luck to you!
    Last edited by whitesmith; October 27th, 2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: detail
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.