Thread: extra windows 8 loader being detected in grub

Beans

extra windows 8 loader being detected in grub

i recently restored grub using boot repair after messing around with some burg themes on ubuntu 13.10. everything boots and works fine but now im seeing an extra windows 8 loader in grub. below is what i mean
    sudo update-grub
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found Windows 8 (loader) on /dev/sda1
    Found Windows 8 (loader) on /dev/sda2

the one detected on /dev/sda1 is windows system reserved partition (the correct loader) and /dev/sda2 is my actual windows install partition (the "fake" loader) anyone know how to fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: extra windows 8 loader being detected in grub

So many users did not know that sda1, the 100MB (hidden) Windows Boot partition was essential that they just delete it.
    So just to be safe Boot-Repair copies your boot files into your main or c: drive. But then grub2's os-prober sees the boot files and creates boot entries for both.
    If you have a Windows repairCD or flash drive and/or good backups you could remove boot files from Main install. Or you can turn off os-prober in grub and manually create your own entry in 40_custom.

From this file copy entry you want, you can also edit menu entry if you want better title in grub menu:
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#Add menu entry to 40_custom
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    #Turn off prober
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    #Add this line
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    #update grub menu after any change
    sudo update-grub

If you add another operating system and want to run the os-prober change to false.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: extra windows 8 loader being detected in grub

Thanks for the help, but all i did was boot into windows and delete the boot folder in the root directory of the c drive Didnt know boot repair just simply copied the boot files, so thanks for telling me that