Thread: Saucy, Ubuntu-gnome, classic, gnome-panel

Beans

Question Saucy, Ubuntu-gnome, classic, gnome-panel

I've just installed a copy of Ubuntu-Gnome Saucy Salamander. Looks pretty good, but I'm trying to set it up it to my habits and note that Panels have changed. I have two monitors. There is something running on the top and bottom of the rightmost monitor that loks like a panel, but it doesn't behave like a panel. For one thing, you can't alt-rightclick on it and get the ability to add Panel applets.
    ps ax | grep panel yields this:
    Code:
    edg@arthur:~$ ps ax | grep panel
     1677 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/ibus-daemon --replace --xim --panel disable
     3445 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto panel
    edg@arthur:~$
    I did sudo aptitude install gnome-panel as suggested in another post, and it installed many packages. dpkg -l | grep panel now shows
    Code:
    edg@arthur:~$ dpkg -l | grep panel
    ii  gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0                    1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   i386         GObject introspection for the GNOME Panel Applet library
    ii  gnome-applets                             3.5.92-0ubuntu3                     i386         Various applets for the GNOME panel - binary files
    ii  gnome-applets-data                        3.5.92-0ubuntu3                     all          Various applets for the GNOME panel - data files
    ii  gnome-panel                               1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   i386         launcher and docking facility for GNOME
    ii  gnome-panel-data                          1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   all          common files for the GNOME Panel
    ii  indicator-applet-complete                 12.10.2+13.10.20130924.2-0ubuntu1   i386         Clone of the GNOME panel indicator applet
    ii  libindicator3-7                           12.10.2+13.10.20130913-0ubuntu1     i386         panel indicator applet - shared library
    ii  libpanel-applet-4-0                       1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   i386         library for GNOME Panel applets
    ii  python-ubuntuone-control-panel            13.09-0ubuntu1                      all          Ubuntu One Control Panel - Python Libraries
    ii  ubuntuone-control-panel                   13.09-0ubuntu1                      all          Ubuntu One Control Panel
    edg@arthur:~$
    I don't think I'm using any of what I installed, even though I've logged out and in, and also rebooted.

How do I get traditional panels working again?

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg
    Glens Falls, NY USA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Saucy, Ubuntu-gnome, classic, gnome-panel

Flash back is the old Fall-back session and Classic is an additional Gnome shell session The key binding won't work in that session because there is no add to panel menu. Classic has a window list for open application switching and a workspace indicator .
    Code:
     sudo apt get install gnome-session-flashback
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Flash back is the old Fall-back session and Classic is an additional Gnome shell session The key binding won't work in that session because there is no add to panel menu. Classic has a window list for open application switching and a workspace indicator .
    Code:
     sudo apt get install gnome-session-flashback
    +1!

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the evolution of "GNOME classic"

In Oneiric, Precise, and Quantal there were "classic" and "classic (no effects)" sessions based on GNOME's fallback mode which was expected to die, but Edubuntu decided to support it for their LTSP installs which is good news for us.

Then to accommodate GNOME's new classic gnome-shell session at the request of Red Hat we were forced to replace the name "classic" with "fallback" in Raring.

Then to further complicate things the devs changed the session name from "fallback" to "flashback" in Saucy.

How could anyone possibly be confused

Beans

Many thanks for the pointer. Looks like a winner. I'm not running Fallback 2D. Not sure why plain Fallback doesn't ever get past a blank screen with a mouse pointer, but I'm happy.

Ed