Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: programming language for *inux development java vs python vs c++

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: programming language for *inux development java vs python vs c++

Most any text editor will do at the start; a full-fledged IDE is nice once you know what you are doing, but at the start it only offers an additional layer of details to be learned. I use "leafpad" and sometimes "mousepad" as my editors but "gedit" is the one that comes with mainstream Ubuntu. I'd also suggest getting at least a starting handle on bash before diving into any lower-level languages. Nothing builds confidence so much as putting together a sequence of instructions and seeing that they do actually accomplish what you intended them to do...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

adi06;

Take JKyleOKC's advise on bash scripting (very powerful in it's own right). As in introduction to programming on a linux system, can do no better.
    http://mywiki.wooledge.org/FullBashGuide

it is all a process of learning
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    I'd also suggest getting at least a starting handle on bash before diving into any lower-level languages. Nothing builds confidence so much as putting together a sequence of instructions and seeing that they do actually accomplish what you intended them to do...
    On my way sir, Great advise. Will go for it. Thanks,

Also i have made a decision to choose PySide as a GUI framework bcoz of Free LGPL License. and its also a good framework.
    Will start looking at Bash now on.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would beg to differ on Bash. Unless you are a system administrator who needs to perform a lot of tasks on the command line, only the most rudimentary knowledge of bash scripting (&&, ||, if conditionals and for loops) is needed. Of course, you can always learn Bash as a programming language in its own right if you are so inclined, but Bash knowledge is certainly not a prerequisite for anything, and I would argue Bash is not at all the ideal first language.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; October 28th, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Re: Need help selecting programming language for *inux development java vs python vs

Quote Originally Posted by adi06 View Post
    Ok an other thing, u mentioned C but what about C++, where is its role? i don't see any post on linux apps with C++.
    Pretty much the entirety of KDE (from toolkit - "Qt" - to practically all of its apps) are written in C++, as are popular apps such as Firefox, Chromium, Open/LibreOffice, Abiword etc. gcc was pure C but is steadily adopting more and more C++ into its codebase.

Can i use C++ instead of C. and is there anything i must know about the difference of using either one?
    Of course. C vs C++ is a pretty common discussion (or flame-war ). C++ is certainly much more complex than C and is a bit of a mess of a language, but I personally find that the mess of the C++ language itself translates to much less messy code with much less tedious (and error-prone) boilerplate, which often runs at precisely the same speed as the corresponding C.

I also read that C++ compiles libraries can't be used with C compiled libraries, but C can work with c++.
    That's mostly correct, but you can always write a thin "C" wrapper around your C++ code. C++ libraries such as llvm do precisely this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Bash knowledge is certainly not a prerequisite for anything, and I would argue Bash is not at all the ideal first language.
    I agree with the first half of that sentence, but disagree with the second. My recommendation of it as a first language is based on two points: first, it gives immediate results the student can see, and thus builds confidence; second, it's a well-structured language and thus serves as an introduction to all the building blocks of what used to be called "structured programming" and now goes by the name "best practice."

There's really no need to try to memorize all of the exotic capabilities built into the latest bash versions, though. Simply being aware that they exist is adequate. And the FullBashGuide blog that Bashing-om linked to above is great! Even though I've been a bash enthusiast for more years than I can count at the moment, I learned a few new things from it (and more than a few things to avoid, such as attempting to parse the output of "ls" in a script).
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

@GeneralZod Thankfor your reply, you explained my questions well.
    I would go for C++ if i would after python bcoz i already know basic C++, class, objects, inheritense, polymorphism and other stiff.

@Bachstelze thanks for your suggestion. I know when it comes to programming everyone have their opinion. thats why i tried to limit my question based on criteria of mine.
    Only language for development i will chose for now is python as suggested by many. But Bash is a powerful scripting language, and can automate quite a list of task easily. and my OS teacher always Rant about BASH/shell so thats why i thought it would be a nice idea to learn it along.

Only problem i'm facing right now is less tutorial or books on PySide than PyQT, i know there is not much difference, but i'm too new to be bullied by the migration of tutorials fro one to another. Besides there are no binaries for Ubuntu for 13.10, so i have to compile them myself. and that is what i'm not familiar with, but i hope i'll get it done some way. Off to Google for that hehe.

Thanks all for replying.
    Last edited by adi06; October 28th, 2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: corected typo, thanks to Bachstelze

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adi06 View Post
    Only problem i'm facing right now is less tutorial or books on PySide then PyQT,
    There is an excellent book on PyQT. Although I am a very low-level type of guy, I find it very helpful when I want to quickly code a small graphical app to do something.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you have chosen PySide (first time I ever hear of it). You meant "than", not "then".
    Last edited by Bachstelze; October 28th, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    There is an excellent book on PyQT. Although I am a very low-level type of guy, I find it very helpful when I want to quickly code a small graphical app to do something.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you have chosen PySide (first time I ever hear of it). You meant "than", not "then".
    Thanks for typo, i corrected it. And i have read many suggestion for that book.
    PySide is like Free version of PyQT; PyQT is paid for comercial development and almost same except some library names or some functions. so Its easy to follow that same book for either framework. but as i'm new there might be probably quite no of differences, and i'm hesitated for PyQT books for PySide

But i'll use that book.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

The book seems a bit dated. Both Python and QT have evolved significantly since 2007. Unfortunately, I have no better suggestions at the moment. I went with wxPython for my own work, since it seemed better documented at the time, but there's a lot to like in QT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12