Thread: Add file download to my web page

Beans

Add file download to my web page

Hello all,
    I have a Ubuntu server at my home hosting just a few basic web pages. Just type my domain name in your browser and go there for some basic local astronomical info. Nothing complex. No login or passwords needed. No mail server. Using Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 with the basic LAMP install. No GUI. Computer is a very old Gateway with 1000Mhz AMD cpu and 640 ram. I would like to use it like a cloud. Example: Once or twice a month, I like to give a few friends some large files. To big for dropbox, Ubuntu one, ect. Without using FTP, (to complex for friends), can I make a directory to put the file(s) in so I can just tell them to go to my web site and hit a download button or open the directory and select the files they want? I need to have a login ID and password for the download part so regular users can't access the files. Just one ID and password for all to keep it simple. If they can upload to me also that would be nice. Not good at PHP scripts but if needed I can learn . Tomorrow I'm going to look at OpenStack, but can that be run alongside my regular webpage?

Many thanks all,
    magpie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Add file download to my web page

If there is no index.htm(l) file, and you allow directory listing, they can see the entire directory. As for login, look into htpasswd files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Owncloud ftw!
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Thanks all. But can I run Owncloud in a VM. I know how to setup Apache to load a different site, (different domain name), so I can have two sites on the same server. Anyways, I'll try it today. Must always learn right.

Thanks again all.
    magpie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by CR4NFdA View Post
    Thanks all. But can I run Owncloud in a VM. I know how to setup Apache to load a different site, (different domain name), so I can have two sites on the same server. Anyways, I'll try it today. Must always learn right.

Thanks again all.
    magpie
    Yes you can run it in a VM.

I run it on one of my VPSes.

Also, you can have Apache serving multiple sites from the same server, no problem.

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/virtualhosts.htm
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...