Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touchpad settings lost after suspend - 13.10

Beans

Touchpad settings lost after suspend - 13.10

After recently updating to 13.10 from 10.10, I noticed that multitouch settings seemed to be quite different in Saucy. The three finger tap seems to be gone and the two finger tap defaults to right click. Three finger tap isn't important, but having two finger tap function as a middle click is a must for me.

I installed Synaptiks and gained this functionality with no issue at all. The settings persist through restarts and shut downs, however they do not persist through a suspend and resume. I've tried countless solutions I've found online, but none of them seem to work with 13.10. Everything from attempting to run a synclient TapButton2=2 type script at startup to adding the desired TapButton info in the 50-synaptics conf file. I haven't had any luck with all my searching, so I'm coming to you forum users for help.

I'm running an Asus U43Jc if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Touchpad settings lost after suspend - 13.10

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Are you able to reset the settings after resume via Synaptiks? Or do you have to restart to get them back?

Maybe you can try unloading and reloading the psmouse module during the suspend cycle. Here is how:
    1. With root privlidges, create the file /etc/pm/config.d/modules:
    Code:
    sudo -i gedit /etc/pm/config.d/modules
    ...enter your password when prompted.

2. Copy/paste the following content:
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="psmouse"
    3. Save the file.

4. Make the file executable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/config.d/modules
    5. Try a suspend/resume cycle.

Beans

I am able to reset the settings after resume via either Synaptiks or the synclient TapButton 2=2 command. A restart is not necessary to get the settings back, but it does work.

I followed your steps to unload and reload the psmouse module. I still lost those settings after a suspend and resume.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, then lets try this.

First, delete the modules file that we created.

Then:
    1. Create a new suspend hook:
    Code:
    sudo -i gedit /etc/pm/sleep.d/0000trackpad
    2. Copy/paste the following content:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    case "$1" in
        resume)
            DISPLAY=:0.0 su USER -c '/usr/bin/synclient TapButton 2=2' ;;
    esac
    ...and replace the word "USER" with your actual system username.

3. Save the file.

4. Make the file executable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/0000trackpad
    5. Try suspending again.

Beans

Same result.

Do you know where it loads the settings from on resume? It's obviously different that what it loads on start up. This whole thing just has me really confused. Especially given all the info I've read for past versions where touchpad settings were as simple as editing the .conf file and adding the options in. I'm not 100% confident 13.10 is using those synaptics .conf files at all. I first tried to set this option up by editing that file, but it had no effect. The settings didn't change until using terminal command or Synaptiks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The suspend process doesn't really "reload" any settings. It basically puts devices to sleep and then re-awakens them. In your case, something is hanging up during the resume process. The two methods that we've tried generally work to get the trackpad to re-awaken properly. In fact, the second one resets the settings.

Can you post back the contents of the /etc/pm/sleep.d/0000trackpad file so that I can verify it? And also, can you post back your suspend log via:
    Code:
    pastebinit /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    ...and post back the link that is generated? Maybe there is something in there that will help identify the problem.

Beans

Contents of 0000trackpad:
    Code:
    #!/bin/shcase "$1" in
        resume)
            DISPLAY=:0.0 su rhett -c '/usr/bin/synclient TapButton 2=2' ;;
    esac
    Suspend log link: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6307269/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

oops. Typo. Try this version of the script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    case "$1" in
        resume)
            DISPLAY=:0.0 su rhett -c '/usr/bin/synclient TapButton2=2' ;;
    esac
    ...(no space between "TapButton" and "2") + "case" should be on a line of its own.

After trying again, post back again the pastebin link to /var/log/pm-suspend.log.

Beans

Good news and bad news.

The correction in 0000trackpad seems to have worked! I now have two finger middle click upon resume. However, I now have a wi-fi problem on resume. When I resume, networking is disabled and enabling it does not do anything. I have to restart to get wireless back. Even after a restart it is disabled by default, but enabling it does work. I don't know if this is related to what we've done at all, but it certainly seems like it could be. I've had immediate and automatic connection to wireless upon booting and resuming since installing 13.10.

Link: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6307622/

Beans

A quick test shows that these two things are most likely related. I commented out the 0000trackpad file and did a suspend-resume cycle. Upon resume, wireless connected without issue. I then "uncommented" 0000trackpad and tried again. The wireless problem was back.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast