Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elementary over Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Elementary over Ubuntu?

Is it wise for an absolute beginner to use Elementary Luna over the standard Ubuntu 13.10? What would be the risks/downsides?

I'm a very basic user, so I don't need many advanced features. What I value most is a pleasing, minimalist design that's responsive, intuitive, and generally fun to use (i.e., the exact opposite of Windows 8). I don't know much about Linux, or the differences between the various distros, so I need some very basic advice. My biggest concerns are:
    - I need an email client that supports iCloud (email, calendar, contacts).
    - I need a music player that I can sync with my iPhone and iPad.

I have my media files saved to an external HDD, which I also access via iTunes/Windows 8. Ideally, I'd like to point the music program to this drive/folder so that I don't have to manage two separate music libraries. Can this be done in Luna?

Also, how do I configure my keyboard with Ubuntu/Luna? I currently have Ubuntu 13.10 installed, and various buttons on my keyboard don't work. For instance, FN + F keys don't work, so I cannot adjust monitor brightness, volume, etc., which is very annoying. Any suggestions? My keyboard is a Razer Deathstalker and my monitor is an Asus MX279H.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    In the fight between you and the world, back the world. - Kafka

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Elementary over Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by jferreir View Post
    I have my media files saved to an external HDD, which I also access via iTunes/Windows 8. Ideally, I'd like to point the music program to this drive/folder so that I don't have to manage two separate music libraries.
    Is it a showstopper if you have to use something other than iTunes? This product is as proprietary as they come. There are several versions of iTures that work with Wine--11.04, for example, but emulation is imperfect. You probably would be better off with something designed for Ubuntu. Clementine comes to mind. As for the keyboard, it is mapped for Windows. You can change keymappings to supporft Ubuntu.
    Last edited by whitesmith; October 25th, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans

Elementary OS is based off the LTS version of Ubuntu. I have used it myself and have found the OS to be stable, the programs it comes with not so. If you replace some of the programs, you will be in good shape. I too suggest Clementine its very well done. If your Laptop came with Windows 8, you might have UEFI BIOS and don't quote me but I don't think Luna plays nice with a UEFI BIOS.

It looks like your pretty heavily invested in the Apple world, I would suggest you do a dual boot between Linux and Windows slowly free yourself from the closed world of Apple.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Elementary OS is the product of a small band of developers who developed and adhere to their own interface standards. They also develop a small group of application for use in Elementary. At least in the initial installation, these replace other applications more typically found in Linux distributions. However, you can easily add any other application available to Ubuntu. Elementary draws from the Ubuntu application repositories.

Beyond the interface, and apart from that small group of applications, using Elementary is going to be much like using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which it is built on.

iCloud is an IMAP mail provider. Any major Linux mail app should work fine. (You may need to manually provide server info during setup.)

The Razor is, I believe, a specialized gaming keyboard. Getting all of its functionality working in Linux may be an issue unless Razor provides a driver. Basic adjustments -- volume, brightness, etc. -- should be available via "widgets" or "applets" in Elementary.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like Elementary in theory but, in practice, it's too purely refined (read annoyingly austere and minimalist) where it shouldn't be. For instance, the file browser, among other things, lacks bookmarks (at least in the version I used earlier this summer). That's the example I remember. There are lots of other niggling little bits and pieces missing. I can't remember them all now. There was a good review, though, that picks up where my memory leaves off:

elementary OS 0.2 Review, Impressive and Nonfunctional

As to the iPhone iPAD? No. Don't go there. It's a time sink. Jobs detested Linux and deliberately sabotaged any real functionality between his perfectly coiffed products and that mess called Linux. Either keep your Windows partition (if that's what you have) or use Windows in VBox. Otherwise, seriously, if you're a big user of Apple products and software, don't use Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How did Jobs sabotage anything about Linux? What he may or may not of thought of it is irrelevant.

OS X is a Unix. Has the BSD versions of the GNU toolset. Can run, and boot to X (shipped and/supplied by Apple). Thousands of linux apps, libraries, etc., have been ported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    How did Jobs sabotage anything about Linux?
    There was a brief period when Rhythmbox was an almost a fully functional substitute for iTunes. It's a matter of record that Apple (read Jobs) deliberately tried to sabotage future functionality with anything other than iTunes. The reasons for this are obvious. His whole business model was predicated on pushing the iTunes store.

See here for more info:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

The article begins:

"Apple closely guards and purposely obscures the workings of iPods even going so far as to alter it from time to time to intentionally make it difficult for non-Apple software and hardware to interoperate with iPods." Nevertheless Ubuntu works very well with iPods, except for the newest generation iPod Touch, iPhone, 5th generation Nano iPod and any other future generation Apple portable devices where Apple changed their systems so that they no longer show up as generic storage devices...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    There was a brief period when Rhythmbox was an almost a fully functional substitute for iTunes.
    You don't really think Rhythmbox or any other Linux music player was ever -- can ever -- pose a tangible threat to iTunes?

Sure, iTunes is way for Apple to make money. Sure, they want to make sure you need to buy Apple hardware to run Apple software. Nothing evil there. Apple is a business. That's what they do: Sell things. It's irrational and naive to expect them to give it away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post Re: Elementary over Ubuntu?

You don't really think Rhythmbox or any other Linux music player was ever -- can ever -- pose a tangible threat to iTunes?
    Why are you asking me? Ask Apple.

Sure, iTunes is way for Apple to make money. Sure, they want to make sure you need to buy Apple hardware to run Apple software. Nothing evil there. Apple is a business. That's what they do: Sell things. It's irrational and naive to expect them to give it away.
    Ok. If you say so, Boss. I'm just the messenger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast