Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

It was the same reason I purchased another hard disk but I never got around installing Windows 8. And I do not have UEFI anyway.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

What problem are you talking about? I said that my Laptop does boot up even with Secure Boot Enabled. Edit: I should have clarified that I have NOT yet tried the Nightly Builds yet for Trusty, an Upgrade from Saucy seemed easier. I also should note that I am using all Factory Hardware, No Modifications. It has 4 GB's of RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, and a Second Generation Intel I3 Processor.
    Last edited by kevpan8152; October 25th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

We are talking about the need to test installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines, which is not easy to do if you do not have the hardware. And if a person did have the right hardware they might not want to risk messing up a machine that they have paid good money for. I know I would not want to risk it.

I was also referring the fact that I have been unable to find a simple guide on what steps to take to reduce the likelihood of having problems when trying to install Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines. And this is needed judging by the number of posts regarding installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    We are talking about the need to test installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines, which is not easy to do if you do not have the hardware. And if a person did have the right hardware they might not want to risk messing up a machine that they have paid good money for. I know I would not want to risk it.

I was also referring the fact that I have been unable to find a simple guide on what steps to take to reduce the likelihood of having problems when trying to install Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines. And this is needed judging by the number of posts regarding installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines.

Regards.
    My computer did originally come with Dell OEM Windows 8. The only problem I have is Ubuntu usually requires me to remove Windows at least that is what it does in 13.10 Setup. Have NOT tried 14.04 Nightly yet to see what happens.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

Regards.

My attempt to install the Win 8 RTM with Secure Boot enabled was an absolute nightmare. However. I do have several non UEFI systems that will install Win 8 (even lower end systems) and also Ubuntu alongside of it with no problem. The problem with UEFI is that there is an intermission during the installation asking for drivers to be installed. There is also different modes of consideration .. one is SATA mode and the other IDE mode. The processes pops up with a window telling you you can remove the install disk and put in the driver disk. After that process is will not recognize drivers or you have to browse for specific driver (totally inane). Also, after reboot it drops you to this shell which is almost impossible to get out of - so - with these UEFI motherboards you are talking that they are designed for shop mentality only at the OEM They are bound and tied with 'Windows 8 Feature'. Now , with that disabled Ubuntu installs expeditiously and works like a charm. There is no side shuffle or shell game to play....

And another thing is that some of the UEFI boards do not have an IDE pin out so the USB DVD driver disk cannot install it's own driver because it doesn't recognize itself.

However .. I think I can tweak the BIOS but it worked much better on a VM.

Regards..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

I was able to <disable> the UEFI as the <First Boot Device> and now my system is back to normal high speed boot up and right into GRub. No muss, no fuss. Now, I may be able to install Win8RTM but I may have to create an .iso out of the Intell Drivers DVD for USB and see if that will work when Win8 Install queries me for the drivers DVD.

hmmm... as I think about it now .... I think I may be able to hack ..< err .. ,cough .. ahem> trick... umm.. (finesster that is) UEFI in a certain manner while Win 8 has secure boot and Ubuntu /grub can be safely installed side by side.? maybe !
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

That's the problem with Windows when you have an Advanced (Non-Intel-Inside) Mother Board.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    That's the problem with Windows when you have an Advanced (Non-Intel-Inside) Mother Board.
    The one I am working with is all intel, B75 chipset with exception of UEFI bios

edit...ohh.. I get ya
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Moved to the cafe as this is hardly a debate relevant for testing.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro

@kevenpan8152

I was able to installl Windows 8 on UEFI system. I took a SATA hdd 250GBs that had 2 linux partitions on it. 1 was Trusty using the manual method and the other was Trusty with the .zsync .iso install. During the first part of the instalation process the Windows 8 installer recognized both Ubuntu partitions plus the swap/area and brought me to a partition manager that presented me with options to keep data and settings, upgrade and previously installed version of Windows or install Windows 8 on one of the partiton , but that I would have to convert it to NTFS first. I did so and also erased the second partition and turned that into free space which was reported as an extended partition by Windows 8 partion installer. Windows 8 installed seamlessly. I then shutdown, inserted my Trusty T USB iso and proceeded to install it on the extended partition. I am writing this message from "live' trusty.... so I don't get the misinformation about people not being able to install Windows 8 to a partition made by the Ubuntu Partition manager.
    This is Rolling Release

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast