Thread: is there a synapse-like launcher native to xfce?

Beans

is there a synapse-like launcher native to xfce?

I've been using synapse on gnome 2, cinnamon and mate. I wonder if I should be using it on xfce since zeitgeist isn't installed by default (running xubuntu 13.10). Does XFCE use another file indexer? I saw catfish does searches is it an indexer? does it have a launcher?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: is there a synapse-like launcher native to xfce?

XFCE uses the "Application Finder" (http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-appfinder/start)

I suspect Synapse works n XFCE. You might check the dependencies list, if that sort of thing concerns you.

I *think* Catfish is a frontend to the locate tool, which depends on a rudimentary indexing of file and directory names.

If you are interested in complete indexing of everything in your filesystem and searching that index, look at the "recoll" app.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Recoll used here on Xubuntu 12.04 and I find it extremely good. You can search for different types of file as well as the file content, the latter of which can occasionally be a lifesaver if you can't remember what you called a file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmen View Post
    I've been using synapse on gnome 2, cinnamon and mate. I wonder if I should be using it on xfce since zeitgeist isn't installed by default (running xubuntu 13.10). Does XFCE use another file indexer? I saw catfish does searches is it an indexer? does it have a launcher?
    For some reason I thought Xubuntu had zeitgeist! Good to know it doesn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Zietgiest is a recommended dependency for Synapse which I use in the XFCE session . I use Ubuntu and not Xubuntu though.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors