Thread: Unable to play movie DVDs

Beans

Question Unable to play movie DVDs

I have a fairly nice xbuntu 13.10 recently installed on my desktop PC (six core AMD64, 16GB RAM, xubuntu on 128GB SSD, ASUS HD 7750 1GB silent video card). Wanting to tweak my xubuntu now. Having a problem playing DVD movies on my LG blu ray burner drive. Could use any help/suggestions. I have tried to do a little homework on this, but I am still at a dead end:

ubuntu 13.10 AMD64
    my video player software installed: VLC, gxine, SMplayer, Mplayer, Banshee, Parole
    i have installed: xubuntu-restricted-addons ubuntu-restricted-addons xubuntu-restricted extras libdvdread4 libdvdnav4 libbluray1 libzine1-ffmpeg libxine2-ffmpeg libquiktime2 mencoder libavcodec53 libopenexr6 libfaac0 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

I already had created a symbolic link to /dev/dvd
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd
    if i insert a DVD (not bluray, just a simple dvd) movie (e.g. The Man Who Knew Too Little, or Eight Legged Freaks) the DVD icon shows on desktop with title of DVD movie

if I try to play using gxine 0.5.905
    Encrypted media stream detected
    Media stream scrambled/encrypted
    [Close]

if I try to play using SMPlayer
    Seems to accessa and read DVD movie then dvd drop stops being accessed.

if I try to play using VLC player
    Media: Open Disc
    I choose default /dev/dvd to open and click the [Play] button
    VLC Media: Open Disc
    Playback failure: DVDRead could not read block 0.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help needed: unable to play movie DVDs

You probably need libdvdcss2. Run
    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    to install it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    You probably need libdvdcss2. Run
    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    to install it.
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! That worked! Thank you so much!

Always frustrating when hitting roadblocks with common app needs, when the solution is often so simple a fix when discovered or shared by someone like you. I am going to make a doc of common issues like this and the solutions for subsequent installs.

Beans

Dare I even try playing a Blu Ray disc given my drive is a blu ray reader/burner? (i should probably start another thread on this, or do some searching, just wondering)

Beans

I have a similar problem with Lubuntu 13.10. Gnome-mplayer cannot play videos because it looks for them in /dev/dvd instead of /dev/sr0. If I create a link:sudo ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd it works but the links is wipe out each time I reboot.Can anybody help?

Beans

Re: Unable to play movie DVDs

Pierre16;

You need to start a new thread - this one has been marked solved, and few people will see your post.

Beans

Thanks Dennis.I have filed a Bug Report as this is something that should work out of the box... and people should not be forced to go to forums to get their player to work:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ug/1248194That being said, I found a temporary answer:Adding ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd to /etc/rc.local creates the link each time I reboot. While this resolves my situation, the problem remains a bug. Ubuntu needs to address this.If anyone has the same problem, please confirm the bug at the above site so that it is fixed.Thanks.

Beans

I had this problem with VLC in LUbuntu. I had a couple of brand new DVDs with a new kind of encryption that puts 99 titles on the DVD with the chapters all scrambled, and only 1 title is the correct one. This prevented the disc from playing in VLC and also prevented Handbrake from working since there is no way in Handbrake to tell which is the correct title. Just experimenting with stuff, I installed Totem and surprisingly the DVDs played perfectly (and also enabled me to find the correct title on the disc that had the chapters in the right order, which I was then able to rip in Handbrake).