Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Now that the genie is out of the bottle with the R9-290X @ $550US which is slightly FASTER than a Titan at virtually HALF the price (!!WOW!!),... ...pause for a moment to contemplate that!... ...I'm soooo ready to get Metro Last Light when it comes out for Linux!

    Nvidia will be dropping prices within 2wks I'd say unless they're complete imbeciles!

    In the end, us gamers get to choose which one to pick and play at a much more affordable price with the the latest AAA titles merely a few weeks to a couple of months away for Metro LL; and perhaps a few to several months away for the rest of the AAA's which will come inevitably with SteamOS!

    In the end of it all... It will be an awesome gaming year for Linux next year and it is JUST THE BEGINNING!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    6,107
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    totally agree, 2014 will the year linux gaming explodes! as far as spending that much on a video card, i would never but to each his own I guess. i currently run an ancient computer with only a 1.8Ghz C2D (E4300) with 2GB DDR RAM and an Nvidia 8400GS with Xubuntu 12.04.3. If I had funds I'd go with a cheap haswell chipset, new MB, new RAM, new PSU, and most likely a 650ti. Newegg has a sale for around $100 for one
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Just waiting now to see how Nvidia responds to this. If the prices drop more than AMD then I would be buying which ever has the better value.

    I've been watching the rivalry for the last 3 months and have withheld from purchasing a new card knowing the Hawaii cards were coming out in October and were rumoured months ago to be bettr than the Titan. I must say it's been a bit of Poker game!
    AMD is clearly winning the poker match now with Nvidia stuffin up thinking that the 290X was gonna be just marginally better than the 780! AMD kept their 290X cards to their chest until Nvidia's press conference with John Carmack and other bigshots in Montreal last week so they could see what Nvidia was announcing. By the looks of it, Nvidia gambled on the 290x being marginally better than the 780 so they announced the 780 Ti which sits halfway between the 780 and Titan. But now that the 290X's out and reviewed all around the world, it clearly shows that it is every bit just as good as the Titan if not up to several percentage points faster. So now AMD has realeased a card that is faster then all 3 enthusiast cards that Nvidia has to offer. LoL

    Nvidia won't be sitting on their hands, they'll likely release a fully enabled Tesla Kepler card for consumer graphics like they do for professional graphics. But that could take up to two months, in the mean time AMD is sitting pretty.
    Maxwell cards won't be out for several months yet to perhaps halfway through next year so AMD will be basking in the limelight for now.

    The never ending soap opera between AMD(ATI) and Nvidia! lol
    Last edited by DanglingPointer; October 25th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    6,107
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    this may all be well and good BUT what is the difference in driver support within the platform we all love near and dear to our hearts? i don't have the luxory of spending $500 on a GPU so I am in the dark ages but last I checked driver support for Nvidia cards was better (less issues etc etc) than AMD's support.

    Are there any reviews out there yet on these high end cards within linux showing linux driver support? I'll be looking for Phoronix to be reviewing these soon
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Beans
    212
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Go with nVidia I been a die hard ati and amd fan for years and i would say buy nVidia. Ati has CRAP drivers and they drop support to fast. MY new build is going to have a nVidia 660 superclocked on newegg for 174.00 thats with the 50 $ off. But ya stay the hell away from ATI video cards. But the cpu are always good and well priced.

    [QUOTE
    Qty. Image Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
    1 TOPOWER TP-6208BB Black SGCC Metal ATX Mid Tower Computer CaseModel #:TP-6208BBItem #:N82E16811237037Return Policy:Standard Return PolicyIn Stock $49.99 -$30.00 Instant $19.99
    1 ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD MotherboardModel #:990FX Extreme4Item #:N82E16813157266Return Policy:Standard Return PolicyIn Stock $139.99 $139.99
    1 EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video CardModel #:02G-P4-2662-KRItem #:N82E16814130826Return Policy:VGA Standard Return PolicyOut Of Stock
    Mail in Rebate Card
    Auto-Notify
    $224.99 -$50.00 Instant $174.99
    1 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-700 700W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power SupplyModel #:ZX-700Item #:N82E16817159126Return Policy:Standard Return PolicyIn StockMail in Rebate $59.99 -$10.00 Instant $49.99
    1 AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOXModel #:FD8320FRHKBOXItem #:N82E16819113285Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return PolicyIn Stock $159.99 $159.99
    1 GeIL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model GEV38GB1866C10DCModel #:GEV38GB1866C10DCItem #:N82E16820144659Return Policy:Memory Standard Return PolicyIn Stock $84.99 $84.99
    1 Western Digital WD AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEMModel #:WD10EURXItem #:N82E16822136941Return Policy:Standard Return PolicyIn Stock $109.99 -$40.00 Instant $69.99
    1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEMModel #:DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/ASItem #:N82E16827135204Return Policy:Standard Return PolicyIn Stock $19.99 $19.99
    Subtotal: $719.92
    ][/QUOTE]

  6. #6

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingPointer View Post
    Now that the genie is out of the bottle with the R9-290X @ $550US which is slightly FASTER than a Titan at virtually HALF the price (!!WOW!!),... ...pause for a moment to contemplate that!... ...I'm soooo ready to get Metro Last Light when it comes out for Linux!

    Nvidia will be dropping prices within 2wks I'd say unless they're complete imbeciles!

    In the end, us gamers get to choose which one to pick and play at a much more affordable price with the the latest AAA titles merely a few weeks to a couple of months away for Metro LL; and perhaps a few to several months away for the rest of the AAA's which will come inevitably with SteamOS!

    In the end of it all... It will be an awesome gaming year for Linux next year and it is JUST THE BEGINNING!
    Correction of what is going to happen:

    You will buy AMD R9, and realize that their drivers are garbage and dont work in linux or are totally borked. You will then either have to switch back to windows or buy a new card.

    I woulnd't give a single cent to a manufacturer that has ignored my platform for years. AMD can kiss my blank.

    If you really want to win, you can wait till nvidia releases its own cards in Q1 2014, and then either pick up older nvidia at cheap price or the new ones. Either way if you buy AMD good luck to you (because you will need it) and lord be with you (because nothing else will save you).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Slovenija
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingPointer View Post
    Now that the genie is out of the bottle with the R9-290X @ $550US which is slightly FASTER than a Titan at virtually HALF the price (!!WOW!!),... ...pause for a moment to contemplate that!... ...I'm soooo ready to get Metro Last Light when it comes out for Linux!

    Nvidia will be dropping prices within 2wks I'd say unless they're complete imbeciles!

    In the end, us gamers get to choose which one to pick and play at a much more affordable price with the the latest AAA titles merely a few weeks to a couple of months away for Metro LL; and perhaps a few to several months away for the rest of the AAA's which will come inevitably with SteamOS!

    In the end of it all... It will be an awesome gaming year for Linux next year and it is JUST THE BEGINNING!
    Price/performance and performance/watt are horrible on top end cards of both AMD and nVidia. You should never buy the high end graphics cards, because you will overpay them. I would wait for R9 290 if I would want the fastest card, or hope the 780 GTX price drops a lot.

    And to all of you which say that the AMD drivers are total crap, what are you even talking about? If you don't like the closed source driver, you can always use the open driver (with reasonable release delay), which is improving more and more. On nVidias side, if you don't like the binary driver, well ... just throw the card in the trash, because noveau driver is way too slow and buggy. Also, the famous excellent legacy support of nVidia is a myth, look at this thread, a horror! And another one.

    Also, keep in mind what Mantle will bring for GCN architecture: an low level, platform independent API, which could be open-source . How can you even say that AMD is ignoring Linux? They are open-sourcing everything, nVidia on the other hand is doing almost nothing in this direction. I might consider buying nVidia again when they fully open everything they got, but until then, I'm happy with my HD7750.
    Youtube gaming channel dedicated to game bugs, glitches and tricks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoseTimesAreGone View Post
    Correction of what is going to happen:

    You will buy AMD R9, and realize that their drivers are garbage and dont work in linux or are totally borked. You will then either have to switch back to windows or buy a new card.

    I woulnd't give a single cent to a manufacturer that has ignored my platform for years. AMD can kiss my blank.

    If you really want to win, you can wait till nvidia releases its own cards in Q1 2014, and then either pick up older nvidia at cheap price or the new ones. Either way if you buy AMD good luck to you (because you will need it) and lord be with you (because nothing else will save you).
    Mate u presume too much!

    Haven't bought a card yet I'm waiting a couple of weeks to see what Nvidia will do. Read above! Either way, I'm playing Metro on a new card whether it is with the red camp or the green camp! I'm more excited about Titan capable processing at half the price! And Titans and all Kepler chip consumer-cards WILL go down, it is ludicrous and suicide not to.

    As for drivers, u're too near sighted mate and not looking at the bigger picture. SteamOS is several months away with MILLIONS of customers, fanboys; AND AAA game developers pitching in for Linux (Bohemia Interactive, 4a Games, Creative Assembly to name a few). AMD won't neglect this! On top of that, AMD is the only one of the two with PAID developers working to improve the AMD Open Source Drivers (http://slashdot.org/story/13/06/26/1...e-linux-driver).
    Also contemplate this!, they'll be providing Mantle eventually to Linux based games which is very similar to the low level extensions used by DirectX for the XBone and the ES portion of the PS4 (custom OpenGL ES).
    You're only thinking of history mate, doesn't work that way. The IT industry ever evolves with many left-field revolutionaries which totally changes the industry as a whole. 90% of all games will be developed for Consoles which AMD has monopolised for Nintendo, XBone, and PS4. They're not gonna leave SteamOS to the Green camp without a fight knowing they (Steam) have MILLIONS of fanboys.
    Last edited by DanglingPointer; October 26th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

  9. #9

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingPointer View Post
    Mate u presume too much!

    Haven't bought a card yet I'm waiting a couple of weeks to see what Nvidia will do. Read above! Either way, I'm playing Metro on a new card whether it is with the red camp or the green camp! I'm more excited about Titan capable processing at half the price! And Titans and all Kepler chip consumer-cards WILL go down, it is ludicrous and suicide not to.

    As for drivers, u're too near sighted mate and not looking at the bigger picture. SteamOS is several months away with MILLIONS of customers, fanboys; AND AAA game developers pitching in for Linux (Bohemia Interactive, 4a Games, Creative Assembly to name a few). AMD won't neglect this! On top of that, AMD is the only one of the two with PAID developers working to improve the AMD Open Source Drivers (http://slashdot.org/story/13/06/26/1...e-linux-driver).
    Also contemplate this!, they'll be providing Mantle eventually to Linux based games which is very similar to the low level extensions used by DirectX for the XBone and the ES portion of the PS4 (custom OpenGL ES).
    You're only thinking of history mate, doesn't work that way. The IT industry ever evolves with many left-field revolutionaries which totally changes the industry as a whole. 90% of all games will be developed for Consoles which AMD has monopolised for Nintendo, XBone, and PS4. They're not gonna leave SteamOS to the Green camp without a fight knowing they (Steam) have MILLIONS of fanboys.
    Its not my money do what you want. I could care less. You can argue anything you want, it doesnt change the quality of AMD drivers as they currently stand.

    And if you want to put half a thousand dollars into an AMD card and then HOPE that AMD gets its **** together with the drivers thats your call. I would not buy anything that does not have proven performance on my platform.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Slovenija
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: R9-290X for $550US... Metro Last Light I'm ready!

    Nobody is saying that the AMD drivers are perfect, but at least you can go to the constantly improving open source driver if something doesn't work. With nVidia, you have to stick to the binary blob which is also not perfect. Buy whatever card you want, but stop spreading FUD if you didn't use any of the AMD cards/drivers recently.
    Youtube gaming channel dedicated to game bugs, glitches and tricks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •