Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minitab 16 and TIBCO Spotfire for Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Question Minitab 16 and TIBCO Spotfire for Linux

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to convert my neighbour to Linux but he asked me whether there are alternatives for:

Minitab 16

and

TIBCO Spotfire

Since I have never used nor heard of these software, I need help

The only reason he is using Windows 8 (and he admitted that he hates Windows 8) is because of these two software.

Help is highly appreciated

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Minitab 16 and TIBCO Spotfire for Linux

I don't know those application either but can't you set him up with a dual boot? Then he can still fall back on Windows 8 if he can't find alternatives for those applications.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    but can't you set him up with a dual boot? Then he can still fall back on Windows 8 if he can't find alternatives for those applications.
    Of course I can but obviously, he is having hard time with Windows and don't even want to Dual-Boot. He is interested to switch to Linux. He is actually having both Mac and so happy with it and Windows (not happy at all) and as I mentioned, the only reason as he said that forcing him to use Windows for now is these Programs

Thanks!

Beans

Do people still use Minitab? The statistical computation package of choice today is definitely R. It is FOSS, powerful and is expanding rapidly,. It is used by some industrial heavy weight like google. It is in the repository, or you can get up to date version from ppa. https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter

If R is overkill and your friend doesn't feel like programming s/he can try pspp (which is more of a learning tool than a production one IMO). Unfortunately you have to compile it if you use Ubuntu because the repo version is out of date and is missing some important new features from ver 8.1 (logistic regression is the biggie) But it is easy to compile and the website gives step by step instructions. Then of course SPSS and STATA run natively in Linux, but cost a lot $$$.

Don't know about the other software.

EDITED:

Just checked out the other one. Since R is also one of the best software for datamining and analytics I would definitely say go for R. Only catch is you need to learn to program. There is a (several?) point and click interface, but I wouldn't recommend it as it is very primitive and you get the most out of R by programming. R has a nice IDE (also FOSS) called Rstudio, you can download the .deb from http://www.rstudio.com/ide/download/
    There are also some java-based data mining tools that are cross platform, but I can't remember their names at this point.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 24th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have used Spotfire; There is no GNU/Linux equivalent. My solution is to go with Ubuntu, then use a windows VM underneath it. Spotfire is a very good graphical tool for data presentation & analysis. No sense in trying to wean him off of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I have used Spotfire; There is no GNU/Linux equivalent. .
    Maybe for your use case. I looked at its websites and it seems that there are many Linux equivalents that do the same kind of things. As mentioned R is probably the best for data mining and related tasks (it is rapidly gaining on SAS in terms of adoption, and SAS actually has an module to invoke R in its data miner) R also has powerful graphic tools for presentations. But with R you need to learn to program, point and click is too limiting (but see Rattle in the link below)

There are also others
    http://www.siliconafrica.com/the-bes...-your-company/
    All of them are cross platform and most are open source.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 25th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Do people still use Minitab? The statistical computation package of choice today is definitely R. It is FOSS, powerful and is expanding rapidly,. It is used by some industrial heavy weight like google. It is in the repository, or you can get up to date version from ppa. https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter

If R is overkill and your friend doesn't feel like programming s/he can try pspp (which is more of a learning tool than a production one IMO). Unfortunately you have to compile it if you use Ubuntu because the repo version is out of date and is missing some important new features from ver 8.1 (logistic regression is the biggie) But it is easy to compile and the website gives step by step instructions. Then of course SPSS and STATA run natively in Linux, but cost a lot $$$.

Don't know about the other software.

EDITED:

Just checked out the other one. Since R is also one of the best software for datamining and analytics I would definitely say go for R. Only catch is you need to learn to program. There is a (several?) point and click interface, but I wouldn't recommend it as it is very primitive and you get the most out of R by programming. R has a nice IDE (also FOSS) called Rstudio, you can download the .deb from http://www.rstudio.com/ide/download/
    There are also some java-based data mining tools that are cross platform, but I can't remember their names at this point.
    Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion but what do you mean that he needs to learn how to program?

Also, please note that I have used nor heard of these programs, I am just trying to help him

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I have used Spotfire; There is no GNU/Linux equivalent. My solution is to go with Ubuntu, then use a windows VM underneath it. Spotfire is a very good graphical tool for data presentation & analysis. No sense in trying to wean him off of it.
    Last time I talked to him, he said he is using a VM running Windows XP because his programs don't work with Windows 8 and it seems he has no Windows 7 Disc.

Thing is, he is very interested to switch to Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion but what do you mean that he needs to learn how to program?

Also, please note that I have used nor heard of these programs, I am just trying to help him

Thank you!
    Hi,

I mean R uses primarily the command line and the user would need to be able write R functions and r scripts in order to take full advantage of R's advanced features. R is not just a statistical package, but a comprehensive computing environment for data analysis and statistics. http://cran.r-project.org/

However, it also has some point and click interfaces. For example http://rforge.net/JGR/ But last time I checked (a few years ago, granted) JGR was kind of rudimentary. There may be a few others too (e.g Rattle from the link in my previous post). Even though it is definitely not for the power user IMO, your friend may find a point and click interface adequate for his purpose (I never use minitab, but I doubt that a purely point and click stat program would have a lot of advanced features, it seems that all serious stat programs require programming to get the most out of them, --e.g R, SAS, STATA, SPSS with syntax. P.S. STATA and SPSS also run natively in Linux, I think STATA costs less than $200, don't know how much Minitab costs)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 4th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do SAS in my professional life plus I use R, Spotfire, JMP, Enterprise Guide. I also love Linux. But unfortunately only R is on Linux. Linux only : use R.
    Linux + VMware with a Windows guest: R, Spotfire, JMP, Enterprise Guide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast