Thread: Screen Brightness on a Radeon HD 5430 with Kubuntu 13.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Screen Brightness on a Radeon HD 5430 with Kubuntu 13.10

I see a few people are having this issue, oddly mostly with Intel cards.

I have a Radeon HD 5430 card in mine and I use fglrx. I've seen more than my fair share of issues with AMD's buggy drivers. This time around my screen brightness settings only *kinda* work. Usually, if I hit the function keys, it pretty much just ignores me. Instead, I have to adjust the slider on the battery meter and THEN hit the function key and it'll adjust. It also sometimes doesn't adjust when I plug/unplug.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack someone else's thread but I'll be posting the same output that was used in this thread.

Here's lspci's vga line
    Code:
    monsuco@EarthBound:~$ lspci -k | grep -iA3 VGA
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470]
            Subsystem: Dell Device 0457
            Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
    02:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
    here's my proc/cmdline

Code:
    monsuco@EarthBound:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic root=UUID=59e82249-d1d1-4593-9284-d7a0acd0779f ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    And here's my backlight interfaces
    Code:
    monsuco@EarthBound:~$ for i in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $i; cat $i/brightness; cat $i/actual_brightness; cat $i/max_brightness; done
    /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
    And here's my pastebin

This is probably as simple as blacklisting a single driver but I'm not an expert at these sorts of things.

I also still get occasional crashes (a bunch of random blocks on the screen, some of which blink). The brightness issues are new to 13.10 but I used to have it periodically crash for no reason and it still does that. I assume that's just fglrx being fickle but if there's something I need to do about that let me know. Who knows what happens when the new fglrx drivers or when Kubuntu switches to Wayland. Maybe that'll help, maybe that'll break a bunch of stuff.
    This signature is in Spanish when your not looking.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Screen Brightness on a Radeon HD 5430 with Kubuntu 13.10

Haven't had much luck with fixing brightness issues with fglrx drivers lately. Unfortunately, I don't have an ATI video card myself to do any real troubleshooting. I did come across this thread over at AskUbuntu that seems to confirm what I'm noticing. Of interest is the last post in that thread:
    It appears that the latest beta released on Sept. 30th, 2013 (version 13.10) has finally fixed the problem for me. See http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx for more info.

The driver still fails to update brightness once the system is suspended and then resumed. Has anyone had any luck with this?
    Perhaps some hope?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Screen Brightness on a Radeon HD 5430 with Kubuntu 13.10

How peculiar. Why didn't this show up in Kubuntu 13.04 then? Why did this pop up all of a sudden?

So you're saying that the beta drivers might very well solve it for me? Does anyone know just how "beta" are they? I mean, what AMD calls their "stable" drivers are usually anything but. I'm instinctively weary of anything AMD considers "unstable". Has anyone out there tried them?
    This signature is in Spanish when your not looking.