Thread: Downloads for some games in Software Center time out and fail

Beans

Downloads for some games in Software Center time out and fail

I've searched the forum for this problem and did not find any that were the same as my problem. If this has been previously addressed, my apologies.

The problem:
    I'm using the Software Center in 13.04 to download and install packages. So far so good. I've had no problems with several packages. However, I purchased 2 packages (Vendetta Online and Amnesia: Descent into Darkness) and neither of them will download or install. I've now been trying for more than 2 weeks.

Symptoms:
    The download will start and data transfer will be very quick for the first 20 meg or so then it slows to a crawl and finally times out and the download fails. The data downloaded to that point is lost. I can start the process over and get the same results.

While having this problem, other packages can be installed with no problem. Access to the web remains quick. Other files can be downloaded and apt-get has no problems. It's just these particular purchases.

Question:
    I'm open to suggestions. Is there another place to get the games? Should I be using or changing my repositories? (Using the USA default servers.)
    I'm really stumped.

Other info:
    I did contact the game developers and they sent me here.
    I did contact AT&T and they tested the DSL and reported that it was working great.
    Speed tests using speed test sites show that my connection delivers a reliable 5+ MBs of data.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

David

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Downloads for some games in Software Center time out and fail

might i suggest you obtain the steam code for those games you purchased and use steam to install them as it has a donwload queue so your progress won't be lost. not sure what else to suggest. 5Mbps dowload is pretty slow in todays digital broadband era. Is it possible that your ISP think you're downloading large illegal files and they are throttling you which then causes your DL to stall and fail?

Beans

Hey thanks for the really quick response.

I'm game to try your suggestion. How does one obtain the Steam code for the already purchased game?

My 6MBs DSL is slow compared to cable but here in the hindquarters of America, it's the best I can do. To get that I had to go with a business DSL package with static addressing. I'm hoping that the gods of networking hear my plea soon and install something faster in the area. I even burned a router under a full moon. So far... nothing.

The ISP doesn't care about my file size. I've regularly moved multi gig files both up and down and no problems there. It just seems to be something with these games and/or the servers which hold them.

Thanks for your help. I'll try the Steam approach if I can find the code.

David

Beans

More information:

I was unable to get help from Steam regarding the Vendetta Online game because it is not available through Steam. I finally bit the bullet and went to the Vendetta site and purchased it again. The complete 432 meg downloaded in less than 9 minutes. There is something very wrong with the Software Center and/or related servers that bears some looking into.

Beans

maybe any something lose.... hmm..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i believe you can set which server you use for the ubuntu software center. maybe you're using one that's not optimized for your location