Thread: ap-hotspot not working on 13.10

Beans

ap-hotspot not working on 13.10

Hi all! I just upgraded from 13.04 to 13.10, and I'm having trouble with ap-hotspot. Under 13.04 everything worked fine, and I used it all the time, but something broke under 13.10. At first, I started it and tried connecting to it, but the connection just hung, and none of my devices could get on. So I tried reinstalling it and adding the PPA. The installation seemed to go fine. So I started up the hotspot again (it kept my settings somehow), but again, couldn't connect. So I tried running the configure command to try to refresh the settings, and now it won't start at all; it hangs on "Starting Wireless Hotspot" and never gets to the "Active" stage.

How can I fix this? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks.

Beans

Re: ap-hotspot not working on 13.10

This post is about a week old already; wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem, if the devs are working on it, if there are any workarounds, etc.

Beans

Bump?

Also, perhaps the following is useful information (if anyone other than me is even checking this thread):

Code:
    $ sudo ap-hotspot start
    Starting Wireless Hotspot...
    $ sudo ap-hotspot start
    Another process is already running
    $ sudo ap-hotspot stop
    Stopping Wireless Hotspot...
    mon.wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    (username, hostname, and PWD snipped)

Beans

Remove and purge the ppa. Also remove any other customised configurations.
    Ubuntu 13.04 and earlier releases require the installation of ap-hotspot script and some cumbersome configuration with ap-hotspot and dnsmasq.
    You might neet to reconfigure the ap-hotspot by running this command in the terminal:

sudo ap-hotspot configure

If you could not follow that procedure correctly then here is a simple guide to follow:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2165035

Just follow the guide. I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to Ubuntu 13.10, which broke/removed the ap-hotspot script and other configurations. Just followed the guide once again (It's me) on upgraded Ubuntu system and the ap-hotspot started working again!

The network manager in default Kubuntu 13.10 installation has inbuilt support for AccessPoint mode.
    Just go to "Edit Connections" , then "Add" a "WiFi(Shared)" connection, select "WiFi tab, mode = AccessPoint", select "WiFi-Security tab, Security = WPA & WPA2 Personal and give any password" and save the connection. That is all, you should be done!
    Last edited by sbnwl; November 14th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Beans

Hm. I guess all I needed to do was reinstall the PPA...or something...? I have no idea, but it seems to work again. Alrighty then.

Beans

Then you should mark the thread as "SOLVED" ! Use the thread tools for that.

Beans

Hi!
    I have just followed what you wrote in this thread, but I cannot have my hotspot working. It runs but my device (smartphone with Android 4.4.2) cannot connect to the wi-fi network: it does not see it.
    I have the same problem if I activate the Wireless Hotspot in Network setting, but also if I activate ap-hotspot (as described in the linked guide).
    Have you other suggestions?