Thread: LibreOffice and very large files

Beans

LibreOffice and very large files

I have some VERY large .DOC files - produced as query result by Lexis/Nexis. (3.0 - 4.0 MB each - text only - no imagery).
    It seems that LibreOffice 4.1 under Ubuntu just can't handle them - it takes hours to load a file and I couldn't perform any operation on them - it crashed again and again.

I tried opening these files on my old office computer. Good old OpenOffice 3.1.1 (under windows XP) opened them in a few seconds and there was no problem performing any operation...

Can anyone explain the backward progress of OO?

Beans

Re: LibreOffice and very large files

Quote Originally Posted by yiftah View Post
    Can anyone explain the backward progress of OO?
    Most of us here are just ordinary users. You may need to ask somewhere more appropriate for an answer. But I agree that LibO on Ubuntu has a hard time opening large files and these files aren't "tainted" by being xls/.doc or xlsx/.docx. They're native .odt or .ods files..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a 4.1 MB DOC file that Libreoffice opens quite easily. I did not have issues opening this file a year ago when I downloaded it and opened it with the Libreoffice version in Ubuntu 12.04 and I did not have any issue opening it just now with the Libreoffice version in 13.10.

I suspect that the DOC file I am experimenting with was created using a Microsoft word processor that fully meets the Microsoft DOC specification. It could be that the program you are using to create this DOC file is not fully compatible with the Microsoft DOC specification and Libreoffice is having trouble identifying the protocols of the document.

It just goes to show the benefits of truely open standards as opposed to proprietary standards.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Try it again with SoftMaker FreeOffice, and it should work properly.

FreeOffice is a very fast, tight coded, feature-packed office suite with the best import and export filters for Microsoft Office formats, I can highly recommend it.

freeoffice (dot) com

Beans

Well - I did try to save them as .odt files. the same problem still exists...
    I downloaded Freeoffice. nice and easy, and it did open the huge files in seconds...
    Thanks for introducing me to the package.. (though I don't think it will be my default program - I guess I'll stick to LO for my day to day work).
    Last edited by yiftah; October 24th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by river2 View Post
    Try it again with SoftMaker FreeOffice, and it should work properly.

FreeOffice is a very fast, tight coded, feature-packed office suite with the best import and export filters for Microsoft Office formats, I can highly recommend it.
    River2, firstly, welcome to the Forums. What a helpful first post. I've not had the problem mentioned with LO, but was interested when I read,

Opens and saves DOC files of Microsoft Word 6.0 to 2010 faithfully...
    I do quite a bit of file sharing with Windows users, and find that document formatting is often "off" when working back and forth between the two OSs. I am definitely interested in giving this a try.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I had a similar experience, but have not experienced any after I switched to Apache OpenOffice (4.0/4.0.1).

Would you be able to upload your file (assuming that it does not contain any proprietary info), so I can try to load it with AOO?

Beans

Thanks for the offer.
    I really played with the idea of switching over to AOO.. problem is - they say they don't have support for Hebrew - which I use (there was an Israeli company that took care of that up to OO 3.1.1 but no more. (believe it or not - the Israeli ministry of finance wanted to switch from MS software to OO - and they hired that firm to do all the Hebrew language support.. alas - no more..)

I guess the file is classified as "proprietary" since it was achieved from a commercial data base (Lexix/Nexis).
    I mentioned that besides MS Word I opened it easily by good old OO 3.1.1 (under Windows XP). I used OO to convert them to .odf - but LO still had the same difficulties.
    To solve my immediate problem (reading the files....) I used OO to convert all of them to .pdf. Evince has no problem with them... but I am still curious..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you could try using open office again (now Apache OpenOffice)

as mentioned you issue is so specific that it might be worth asking it on libre office forums.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thanks but as I mentioned above - Hebrew language support is a bit of a problem..