Thread: How Gaming on Linux Could Be Big

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Cool How Gaming on Linux Could Be Big

I have been reading that Battlefield 4 might be on Steam OS/Linux and the developers would love to get into Linux. So if Battlefield 4 is on Linux or some other big title, it could bring gamers to Linux. Most computer gamers build there computers, so Linux=FREE makes them pay less $$$ then for an OS like Windows. Also other big games would be made for Linux too. On the other hand Steam OS is Linux and most people that would buy the Stream box might not have a gaming computer. And people who do have a gaming computer might install and use Steam OS. Steam OS will be very user friendly right from the first install. Plus AMD's Mantle a low-level API specification will be cross OS like Windows, Mac and Linux making games be available on Linux.
    Ubuntu User number is # 29142
    Lubuntu: Light & Fast Linux for Human Beings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How Gaming on Linux Could Be Big

So the SteamOS and SteamBox (really, just Valve) is what the Linux gamers have been asking for: a heavy-hitter willing to throw in with our lot. It will be very interesting to see how Linux gaming evolves once SteamOS and SteamBox go live; however, I am NOT anticipating this massive rush from consumers and developers into the realm of Linux JUST because Valve is weighing in. One AAA game talking about coming to Linux doesn't make Linux the best/most ideal gaming environment. I will hold my breath for now and wait and see.
    Tantum eruditi sunt liberi.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

nvidia and valve working together on optimizing the opengl drivers will make GPU support for linux much better which will only help linux gaming. heck, with nvidia on the side with valve, it's possible that again opengl performance will leave the propritary directx API in the dust which would then make developers wanting to code in opengl versus directx. good times for linux gaming are on the horizon and I am glad I am just starting to get into gaming on my xubuntu install. been using it since breezy badger but never really interested in gaming until steam for linux came out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a good feeling Battlefield 4 is going to be on SteamOS/Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Loking forward to steamOS/Linux however a little concerned about the pads on the future steam box's. Might just have to get a different pad and play on the desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by BigBig5 View Post
    Most computer gamers build there computers, so Linux=FREE makes them pay less $$$ then for an OS like Windows. .
    if they pay 1000 $ only for the GPU, does it really matter if they also pay 100$ for OS?

the important part of linux is not free as in free beer but free as in freedom.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if they pay 1000 $ only for the GPU, does it really matter if they also pay 100$ for OS?

This is true, Windows is not really that expensive, plus I can imagine an awful lot of PC gaming enthusiasts know 'other ways' of getting a copy of Win7 or 8 you know?

There are however plenty of more reasons to use Ubuntu, Free as in freedom is indeed one

For me it's no bloat! 700mb on idle at a blank desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather throw $100 to jump from one kind of GPU to the next (GTX 760 to a GTX 770); Or spend the $100 on a new graphics card waterblock!
    Even for those that pay for performance to enthusiast segment cards, every $ counts! Trust me I'm one of them!
    Money spent on OS is wasted money and people who can afford don't get to their position by throwing away money needlessly when trying to achieve a goal...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    Funny how that doesn't seem to matter to people regarding the game delivery platforms and games themselves...

I can't really wag my finger too much since I am also playing proprietary games, but I do feel like Free as in freedom games are largely ignored. You can argue about lack of quality, but if people spent only a quarter of the money they spend on commercial games donating to Free games (or their own time and efforts, which is often more important) we'd have a lot more good alternatives to commercial games.
    Last edited by Arthur_D; October 26th, 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Edited small details.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichaelHill View Post
    For me it's no bloat! 700mb on idle at a blank desktop
    700mb idle? is that on windows? i get 415MB idle on KDE64bit and a little over 200 MB on 32 bit and about 510 MB on win7 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_D View Post
    Funny how that doesn't seem to matter to people regarding the game delivery platforms and games themselves...

I can't really wag my finger too much since I am also playing proprietary games, but I do feel like Free as in freedom games are largely ignored. You can argue about lack of quality, but if people spent only a quarter of the money they spend on commercial games donating to Free games (or their own time and efforts, which is often more important) we'd have a lot more good alternatives to commercial games.

+1 to that. there are actualyquite a few good and fun opensource games, but i guess that if those devs got a bit of money they could focus more on these projects.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla