Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darter UltraThin review?

Beans

Darter UltraThin review?

Does anyone have hands on experience with the new Darter? I'm particularly curious if it has similar issues to the Galago with the keyboard with missing key strokes?
    thanks in advance...
    (PS I'm in the market for an Ubunutu "ultrabook" or slightly larger (14" max) laptop that is portable and powerfull-ish)

Beans

Re: Darter UltraThin review?

+1

Also in the market for the same thing. Got very close to buying the Galago but bailed cos of the poor reviews. Now waiting to hear about the Darter and the updated Dell XPS Dev Edition with Haswell.

Beans

It's unlikely anyone has experience with it, since it won't even be shipping until the 28th. That said, System76 chiclet keyboards all seem to get the same complaints, and this one looks very similar (identical?) to the Galago's keyboard.

Beans

I guess I knew no regular users had one, was hoping that someone had one to review, or someone who had hands on would chime in...
    @macdonaldjnew - you and me both...

Beans

Yes, sadly this does miss keystrokes. I have an issue open with System76 and hope to get it resolved because besides that it's awesome. Good price, awesome speed, fast SSD, and very thin.

Beans

I'm sure it is basically the same keyboard hardware, just a different screen right?

I'm very slowly getting used to pounding on my UltraPro keyboard - but the problem is compounded by the lack of palm detection support on the touchpad even though it is a synaptics device that should support it. I heard that directly from System 76

"Our trackpads don't currently support this type of palm detection. Instead, we recommend using the "Disable while typing" feature which simply turns the trackpad off while you're typing (and for a short delay after you stop)."
    Sounds like they might be supporting it eventually. Until then when I'm pounding on the keyboard it is very easy to move the mouse around with my palms in between typing because it kind of forces you to move your hands over the touch pad area where they will come to rest every time you stop typing.

I'm really, really hoping they can offer another replacement keyboard that actually works at some point, I'm SO TIRED of having erase every fifth word where letters got missed out. As a programmer it is even worse - really for a developer centric laptop this is inexcusable and make me very sad. I'll be happy to pay for an upgraded keyboard, really they don't cost much so lets get to it and make a lot of users completely happy please!

Beans

That's a real shame - I so wanted to buy a bespoke linux machine but the build quality just isn't there yet it seems. Have just ordered one of the new Dell XPS 15's and very excited. Good spec and good looks, but eye-watering price, and as it's only just shipping now Ubuntu compatibility is not fully tested.

Beans

anybody have more experience with the Darter?
    I tried to make two different Asus Zenbook UX302 machines work, but the thin plate that goes over the keyboard/between the keys was bowed and wouldn't sit down correctly so I returned them. the whole keyboard was flexy, trackpad seemed ok, but never even got to try to install Ubuntu since they were defective.
    still waiting for XPS 13, and considering a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and ignoring the color issue with screen. Getting somewhat annoyed with the computer industry in general...

Beans

I have a Yoga and it's very nice for the price but it isn't running Ubuntu and I'd worry about how that super high res screen of the Yoga 2 Pro would behave. I really think they went above and beyond in the pixel density department! But if I knew that Ubuntu would run well and you could get it to recognize the flip to tablet mode somehow I'd be up for it.

Too bad about the Toshibas - they seemed like a good system.

Another Lenovo system I'd want to try would be the X1 Carbon - they have a touchscreen model too, but for a non-tablet system I really don't see the point myself unless you want to boot into Windows once in a while. The current models are Intel 3rd Gen chips so I would wait until a refresh occurs, although I've no idea when that would be!

Beans

I just got the new Darter (the latest as of April 2014). I don't rest my palm on the touch pad while typing, so cannot comment on that. I have started to pound my keys though - it's a different way of typing, and not entirely awful. The trackpad itself is the source of intense aggravation for me - it keeps the same brushed metal texture as the rest of the laptop, that is, grained. This means that tracking up and down is against the grain, and left/right is with the grain making it ridiculously hard to use; I'd go so far as to say if you don't use a mouse with it, avoid this laptop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast