Thread: Where are the trig declarations?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Where are the trig declarations?

I'm trying to write a C program containing a few trig founctions - sin, cos, nothing too serious. I #include <math.h>, I link using -lm, but I get errors like: "undefined reference to 'sin'". Sure enough, <math.h> has no declaration for sin or any other trig function.

When I check the mandev pages I am told that (and I quote between the asterisks):

NAME

cos, cosf, cosl - cosine function
    SYNOPSIS

#include <math.h>

double cos(double x);

float cosf(float x);

long double cosl(long double x);

Link with -lm.

So, OK, I need to #include <math.h>, and link with -lm, which is what I'm doing. Where does the declaration for cos live? As far as I can see, the documentation is incorrect, which I find hard to believe. What am I missing?

Anyone know what I need to do so I can write the next killer app that does cosines?

-B

Beans

Re: Where are the trig declarations?

Are you using gcc? If so what is your actual gcc command line?

You are probably linking the math library in the wrong place - for the current gcc compiler it needs to go AFTER the C source that calls it i.e.

Code:
    gcc -o yourprog yoursource.c -lm
    i.e. references resolve from left to right, NOT

Code:
    gcc -o yourprog -lm yoursource.c
    FYI it's important to understand he difference between declarations (in header files) and definitions (or in your case undefined references)

Beans
    Distro

Steeldriver, thanks for your input. I'm almost certain I've got the -lm in the wrong place. I'll check it out when I get a chance, and post a "solved" if that's the problem.

I wasn't clear about the distinction between declarations and definitions. I mean, I know the difference, but... are you saying that the problem is in the library (or the compiler/linker not being able to find the library)?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

-B

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, Steeldriver, for your tip. I just had the -lm in the wrong place. Somehow I interpreted the ld man page to mean these things needed to precede the source. It doesn't *say* that, but that's how I interpreted it.

Anyway, thanks to your input, I'm happily going along making other mistakes. Thanks.

-B