Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wubi install--got to 're-start to finish', then nothing

Beans

Question Wubi install--got to 're-start to finish', then nothing

I'm new to Ubuntu and limited in tech knowledge. I want to install Ubuntu on an older Compaq notebook, just upgraded the RAM to 2 G. Really wanted to do a dual-boot with the existing Windows XP but several attempts make me think I just can't re-partition the hard drive as needed. Wubi sounds like a good alternative, got it running through a 4+ hour installation and got a 'restart to finish Ubuntu install' screen, but nothing after restart. That is, the normal Windows start up with no installer showing up to take me to the promised land.

I do now have an Ubuntu folder on my hard drive, 17.5 G in size, but looking at the files I can't figure out how to get anything going to finish the install.

Any help would be much appreciated.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wubi install--got to 're-start to finish', then nothing

Wubi was only really meant for testing out Ubuntu. I say was, because it is not even an option for the new releases. Skip Wubi and do an full install of Ubuntu to it's own partition. This involves shrinking your existing Windows XP partition and installing Ubuntu into the newly freed space. There are instructions for this on this forum as well as other places. Start by removing the Wubi you just installed, then defrag your disk via Windows XP (running defrag 2 times is recommended). After that go straight to the install of Ubuntu.

As with anything new, be *sure* you have backups so you can:

(1) reinstall Windows XP
    (2) reload your programs and any data you have in Windows XP

Ubuntu itself won't do anything to Windows, but it's possible you might choose the incorrect option in the install process and end up with Ubuntu taking your entire disk - so follow the screen instructions carefully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    I say was, because it is not even an option for the new releases.
    I only wish this were true. I keep reading on the forums that WUBI has been removed for 13.04 and 13.10. And yet, if I browse the Live USBs I created for them, they both contain a Wubi.exe file.

I do agree with Squakie's advice, though. Try a real dual-boot install and let us know where you get stuck. You'll find it's a lot easier to get support around these parts for a traditional install than a Wubi install.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Follow these instructions to make sure you have the correct boot.ini entries: http://askubuntu.com/a/75326

Note that newer versions of Ubuntu might not run so well on old hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    I only wish this were true. I keep reading on the forums that WUBI has been removed for 13.04 and 13.10. And yet, if I browse the Live USBs I created for them, they both contain a Wubi.exe file.

I do agree with Squakie's advice, though. Try a real dual-boot install and let us know where you get stuck. You'll find it's a lot easier to get support around these parts for a traditional install than a Wubi install.
    Most newer hardware is running UEFI bios, and it is my understanding that wubi doesn't "cooperate" with that. The exe might still be there, but it really isn't supported as an option anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The exe might still be there, but it really isn't supported as an option anymore.
    +1. Not an option. Don't go there. Shrink Win partition using Win software and leave free space to install Ubuntu to.

Make sure you have no more than four partitions. You can do this by relegating what you have to three primary partitions (which Win generally creates) and make the free space one big extended partition. Install ubuntu to logical partitions inside that (you will need a / partition and /swap for Ubuntu).

Quote Originally Posted by John_Swinford View Post
    ... several attempts make me think I just can't re-partition the hard drive as needed.
    You just need to think harder.

If you can boot from the Ubuntu install media, launch Gparted (partition manager), take a screenshot of what that shows and post it here we can help.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 23rd, 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most newer hardware is running UEFI bios, and it is my understanding that wubi doesn't "cooperate" with that. The exe might still be there, but it really isn't supported as an option anymore.
    About the only thing I can think of that would be worse than supporting Wubi would be not supporting Wubi but leaving it on the Live .iso anyways.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

@john_swinford it sounds like you did a dual boot correct? if you did? the one thing i have noticed is that windows does not have a boot selector like ubuntu does. ubuntu has Grub in it default to select between operating systems. I'm sorry if i am wrong on this, i am a little new at it also but i just got done with a Ubuntu 13.10 and windows vista dual boot but i have it on a newer two hard drive system where i can select which hard drive to boot off of, but you should be able to download a program onto your windows operating system to install a boot selector onto the bios.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

with a single disk install, the default at install time should be fine. no extra program is needed. with multiple disks, you need to watch the option of where to put grub during the installation. you can change that after installation as well, or use your bios's select boot media option.

however, the op does not have Ubuntu installed yet - their problems lie in just trying to boot and run the installation media.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Wubi install--got to 're-start to finish', then nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post

You just need to think harder.

If you can boot from the Ubuntu install media, launch Gparted (partition manager), take a screenshot of what that shows and post it here we can help.
    I tried this by booting from a Gparted Live CD and pressing ctrl/prt sc when I was looking at the window showing my disk, but when I re-booted and got back here I don't have anything to paste.

Let me mention that this laptop, after a couple or 3 reboots after I started this thread, started showing me a dark screen after powering on with choice of starting WinXP or Ubuntu. Choosing Ubuntu shows me a couple more quick screens, one is GNU GRUB something or other, and Ubuntu starts and seems to run well. I'm not sure if it's doing the WUBI thing of running within Windows or if it's a more regular dual boot. I suppose I should mark the thread 'solved' but I'm as baffled as ever. My wireless is being recognized, I see a lot of threads on that and will work on it separately.

Anybody know what I'm doing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast