Thread: Ubuntu USB interface to Nexus 7

Beans

Ubuntu USB interface to Nexus 7

On win7, I plugged my nexus 7 into the USB port and ta-da I could see, copy and delete files on the Nexus 7 from my laptop.

This does not appear to work on Ubuntu. I have looked and cannot seem to find any interface apps or anyone else that is trying to make this work. Suggestions please.

Patrick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu USB interface to Nexus 7

You need Ubuntu 13.04 or above.

If you have 12.10 or below, there are several googlable workarounds using FTP servers, adb, etc.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

On Ubuntu 10.4 using go-mtpfs with a little bit of coding Nexus 7 USB can be done:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2128292

This issue was bugging me for 6+ months, sometimes worked, sometimes failed using MTPFS.
    Now go-mtpfs is rock solid (for me) on vintage Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by alphasoup View Post
    On Ubuntu 10.4 using go-mtpfs with a little bit of coding Nexus 7 USB can be done:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2128292

This issue was bugging me for 6+ months, sometimes worked, sometimes failed using MTPFS.
    Now go-mtpfs is rock solid (for me) on vintage Ubuntu.
    I'm not sure which one I tried - probably MTPFS - but I didn't have any success on 12.10, and knowing first-hand how terrible MTP support is on Linux I just assumed it would only work with the sun in its zenith and the computer placed within a hexagon. Rather than call a witch-doctor, I took the easy way out and updated the system to 13.04, getting a few extra benefits too.

So, Patrick, if you try upgrading your MTP support on an old Ubuntu and can't get it to work, don't think there's anything wrong with you!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.