Thread: Questions about the Gazelle

Beans

Question Questions about the Gazelle

Hi,

In another thread someone said the HDMI doesn't work reliably on the Gazelle. Can someone tell me if this is true? Does installing Ubuntu 13.10 make it work? I use my laptop for a lot of presentations and movie watching so it's important that HDMI works well for both sound and video.

Also, can someone upload a sample of the microphone quality? My current laptop sounds really good for Skype, but I know some laptops sound bad for some reason and I want to sound good during calls.

Lastly, does the Gazelle come with the fixed keyboard that the Galago has?

Beans

Re: Questions about the Gazelle

the keyboard of the gazelle is a pain. mine was loose in the beginning in one corner, so according to system76 support i had to place notecards under it (sic). thinkpads from lenovo definitely have much better keyboards and even acer and samsung keyboards which i have tried are better. all bigger keys (spacebar, backspace, enter, shift, tab, etc.) are quite noisy

Beans

I have had no issues with HDMI. I plug in the monitor and it works. Most of the time the sound switches over from speakers to HDMI by itself however every now and then you need to open the sound properties and flip it manually.

Don't have a sample of the microphone. Never really use it. I checked it out when I got the box to make sure it worked and that was it.

Keyboard is disappointing. Mine was kind of bad when I got it. I also noticed something rattling around inside. I took it apart and one of the mounting screws for the keyboard had fallen out and was rattling around. I put some locktite on it and put it back it back in. I then went around and starting checking all of the screws I could see. I was amazed how many were not really tight. When I was done the keyboard is certainly better than before but not what I would expect for the price.

Beans

ddraper2, someone else said their HDMI stopped working after upgrading to 13.10 and they had to use the System76 Driver to fix it. Was that your experience, or does it work after upgrade without the Driver?

Beans

ddraper as I wrote in the other thread on the gazelle, the recommended way of solving the rattling keyboard is to place notecards under the keyboard. i put some under the lower right area of the keyboard (around the numpad) and that solved it.

scoodlebop: i think one always has to reinstall the system76 drivers after upgrading. that is very easy though, since it can be done directly from the system settings.