Thread: Interview with a Linux admin

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Interview with a Linux admin

Hello all! Looking to an interview, with a Linux admin for a class project I have for college. I need to interview someone in my perspective field and ask them questions regarding interpersonal communication you use everyday. The interview would conducted using Skype

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Interview with a Linux admin

I don't think Skype would be the best way to interview system admins. IMs, PM's, email may be better. That is based on my experience as a system admin before I retired a few months ago. When systems admins do communicate verbally it is usually in a meeting where they receive their tasking. After that, they tend to work alone or use IM's, PM's, email, bug reports/helpdesk tickets to communicate among themselves.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; October 21st, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I don't think Skype would be the best way to interview system admins. IMs, PM's, email may be better. That is based on my experience as a system admin before I retired a few months ago. When systems admins do communicate verbally it is usually in a meeting where they receive their tasking. After that, they tend to work alone or use IM's, PM's, email, bug reports to communicate among themselves.
    +1. I'm not even a true sysadmin and I communicate better via email or IM than over the phone.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubanicous View Post
    ... and ask them questions regarding interpersonal communication you use everyday...
    I think you may have already gotten part of the answer to your question.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I see you guys do make a valid point, if only my professor understood that very fact.

Beans
    Hidden!

@Cubanicous

You may get other opinions or an offer to help. Give the thread some time for possible results.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well seeing as we're talking about Linux users here you could suggest doing it via Google+ hangouts. Google+ seems a more popular option for sysadmins social lives ... You might even be able to ask one directly.

(sorry but myself i'm not a linux admin at all - apart from on my own laptop)
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Quote Originally Posted by Cubanicous View Post
    Hello all! Looking to an interview, with a Linux admin for a class project I have for college.
    This college have a Network and/or IT department?
    </hint>
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.