View Poll Results: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

13 20.97%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

14 22.58%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

17 27.42%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

8 12.90%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Raring RIngtail

Keep in mind that this thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

Poll and thread for the previous release:

Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences
    Last edited by cariboo; October 21st, 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Worked GREAT...used the option to upgrade on iso installer...2nd experience with that and both times results identical! Everything transferred over perfectly except for Chrome, MS Core Fonts, libdvdcss and Oracle Java...so just had to add those back...all DATA transferred perfectly and most system settings too! Also, all PERSONAL settings as well...

Really superb experience...plan on using it going forward to "roll" into each new ubuntu version...saves a lot of extra work and time after the install...

Beans

Big problems. Upgrade seemed to go smootly, but now get big black X instead of cursor arrow, and it has no effect. Windows do not have min, max, close buttons. Menu pulldowns don't work.

Beans

Well... This was somewhat interesting, to say the least, not to mention 4 days and ~22 hours of "work" figuring out everything that I could that was going on. I have been using some form of Ubuntu since 10.02 when I first installed it on a laptop due to the fact that it behaved *much* quicker for a note-taking system for school than windows ever did (notably in boot and shutdown times, as well as power consumption). I am a gamer, so I do dual-boot, regardless, but it is what it is.

I am not a linux guru, but neither am I a neophyte. I've been dual booting Linux and Windows since 1996 (back then dual booting for me consisted of swapping out which drive was actually connected to the master bus of the IDE channels), redhat back then, on to OpenSUSE, into Gentoo for a while, and into Ubuntu 7.04. I went away from Ubuntu for quite a while around 8.04, and came back with 10.02. I've learned enough that I'm comfortable in a CLI, and sometimes prefer doing things via CLI over GUI.

So, this last week, I purchased a new laptop. Clevo w350st / Sager NP7352 (in case someone has similar issues and would like some form of assistnace, maybe this will help).

I had a metric TON of issues getting the installer to even boot all the way. I ended up after lots of research needing to add these three lines to the boot options of the livecd on a usb flash drive (and I have no clue which one resolved, but one of them did). I was getting, essentially, a divide-by-zero kernel panic error during the livecd boot and/or unable to properly recognize a usb 3 port and usb 3 flash drive for installation. Sometimes it would note the nouveau module, sometimes it wouldn't, but this fixed it. *shrug*

Code:
    acpi_osi=Linux
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    nomodeset
    Only Then was I able to boot the livecd, either the x86 or amd64 versions. Fine, I booted into live mode, installed 13.10 amd64. I did NOT have to add acpi_osi=Linux, acpi_backlight=vendor or nomodeset after the installation, it booted properly.

The system has an optimus based video card, the nvidia gtx 765m. Fine, i knew I'd be hitting up bumblebee... that was a nightmare, but boils down to the following couple of sections.

Code:
    apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    apt-add-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    apt-get update
    It is important to note that it did NOT work until later (I will note where), as I obviously haven't installed anything just yet. I also installed gnome 3.8 via the following commands before everything started to work properly, I am not sure if it is related, I was just head-desking over how I couldn't get a handle on the Unity environment so I decided to avoid it, and went back to gnome.

Code:
    add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    apt-get update
    apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
    I selected the gdm instead of the lightdm for the notification support, obviously. Then, reboot, and install bumblebee.

Code:
    apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
    It installed as a dependency nvidia-304 and its dependencies. It still didn't work.

The first 'next-step' was to edit the bumblebee.conf in /etc/bumblebee to reflect the nvidia driver I was using and the second was I found advice to install the latest nvidia driver from xorg edgers, instead of the normally installed versions (nvidia-304 in this case). In bumblebee.conf, the KernelDriver was set to "nvidia-current." I set that line to KernelDriver=nvidia-304. It still didn't work. So, on to the latest nvidia drivers.

Code:
    apt-get --purge remove nvidia-304 nvidia-settings-304 bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
    apt-get install nvidia-331 nvidia-settings-331 nvidia-persistenced
    apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    I also of course changed the bumblebee.conf kerneldriver line to nvidia-331 Only after the "apt-get upgrade" and a reboot did everything actually behave. I can turn the video card on and off at my leisure, it boots nice and swift, runs the things it needs to just fine, and can turn the video card to power saving mode when I'm simply taking notes, which is one of the reasons I love linux in general so much. Optirun doesn't even remotely complain.

I am still sitting on one last minor issue. I'm hooked up via HDMI to a larger monitor when I'm at home working on this instead of out and about (I do my projects on the laptop rather than deal with moving files around constantly or putting them on the cloud somewhere). When I am at home and am hooked up via HDMI, I like to listen to music through the monitor's semi-decent speakers... I now have the strangest problem.

Fire up youtube (or ANY other audio source / audio-video source) and have the sound settings window open, play the video. It plays at double speed, in sync, no static, just double speed both audio and video. Click on "Speakers - Built-in Audio" and it IMMEDIATELY slows back to normal speed, and audio output changes from HDMI to the built in speakers, video remains on the HDMI connected monitor. Select "HDMI / DisplayPort 3 - Build-in Audio" and again immediately it speeds back up to 2x both audio and video.

Heck, the "test speakers" section plays double speed over HDMI and single speed when over the built-in speakers. I've yet to figure it out. It's the last thing I've got to deal with.

I have to say that I'm not impressed with Ubuntu's installation on 'newer' hardware... but then that's been an ongoing problem for Linux in general for the past 16 years that I personally know of and have had to deal with. This was probably the second worst I've had to deal with, ever. (The first being an ATI gentoo build back in, oh, 2004/2005 or so).

This took, as I said, about 22 actual work-hours to get installed to be stable and make use of my hardware properly. I will say that I was surprised that the Killer-1202 wifi and bluetooth combo was picked up both in livecd and installation with absolutely zero issues and runs like a champ, and really the only issue was (and is) some part of the video subsystem.

I have NOT tried to tinker with the Fingerprint Reader built into this system, so I have no idea if that will / would be difficult to get cooperative.

Hopefully this helps someone else not have to do quite as much work / searching. If I end up resolving the HDMI issue or getting the fingerprint reader setup, I'll update this post with appropriate information.
    Last edited by verahsa2; October 23rd, 2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

As usual no no installation problems . The only exception of a final release being my first Ubuntu installation via Wubi 9.10 . All Ubuntu installations have been installed on my home build Asus Nvidia based mobo with AMD processer , Nvidia graphics card, WD Hard-drive. Kingston memory, and Sony monitor.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

This post is about Xubuntu, not Ubuntu.

As usual, I did a fresh install of 13.10, not an upgrade. I use manual partitioning so that I can multiboot with the previous release.
    Everything went pretty smoothly, but I have seen 3 problems.

First, the volume control applet didn't work. This is a well known problem and the fix is already documented.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12822062

Second, I run a script that installs all my favourite software. This repeatedly calls "aptitude -y install $package" and I run it unattended. Well the first time I did this, when it got to installing wine, it decided to remove pretty-much the entire system. By the time I returned from TV and saw what was happening, so much of the system had gone that it wasn't really usable, even trying to reboot gave a message "init: command not found". I have a suspicion that it happened because I didn't do an update/upgrade immediately before installing the new packages, and perhaps something the script wanted to install depended on later versions of something else that hadn't been upgraded. Anyway, after reinstalling, I was careful to update and upgrade before running my installer script again, and it went OK this time. This may not be a specific issue with 13.10, but just a product of my not upgrading before installing new packages. I've modified my script.

Thirdly, I have had a few instances of getting a black screen when I power on. The PC looks dead - no flashing cursor, optical mouse doesn't light up, and the keyboard lock keys don't toggle the lights. After waiting until I'm sure it's not going to boot, I find that although it looks dead, Ctrl-Alt-SysRq-B causes it to reboot, so there must be some spark of life in there. After a couple of reboots, it boots properly. I replaced the nvidia-319-updates driver with nvidia-319 yesterday and it booted first time this evening. Time will tell if it's fully fixed now.

Beans

I had a great install and it recognised my hybrid laptop video card perfectly. Brilliant update!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Install Worked like a charm. Used Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 amd64 iso. As ususal had to choose 'nomodeset'. Thats all.

I installed UbuntuStudio meta's on top. That also worked great.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

I upgraded two system yesterday and wouldn't you know it, one success and one failure. I started the successful upgrade in console mode and other than it taken 2 to 3 hours, it work without a glitch. On the other hand, the system that failed demonstrated problems at reboot and did not boot or indicated the system drive was not mounted. The system booted to ROOT and allowed me to fix the system. I remounted the drive and issued a configure command and the upgrade process resumed. After about 15 minutes the process completed and booted successfully.

Beans

upgrade was a piece of cake. just some minor settings changed which needed fixing, but that's a non issue really

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast