Thread: Thoughts for the QA Community for Trusty

Beans

Thoughts for the QA Community for Trusty

I destilled down my thoughts and plans for the trusty cycle.

TLDR; let's make machines do the heavy testing work, let's run development versions of ubuntu and try and break things, let's define roles and workflows to help self-direct our testing, and let's merge with the bugsquad.

http://www.theorangenotebook.com/201...sty-cycle.html

:-p Feedback most welcome. I know everyone here is already capable of self-directing and having fun while testing. I trust you might also consider diving more into bugs if you are not, and potentially help out on some of the 'big projects' mentioned.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Thoughts for the QA Community for Trusty

I have just quickly read through your post on Planet Ubuntu. I will consider it more closely. Meanwhile, I already have two installs of trusty. One is a saucy install with the devel repositories that has been going for about a month and has recently changed into trusty. The other I just put in from an ISO image for trusty in cdimage. On this install /usr/share/python-apt/templates/ubuntu.info has references for both devel and trusty. I am thinking that we have a rolling development branch.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 23rd, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

@balloons

I hope your enthusiasm spreads far a wide because we really need this for Ubuntu to survive. During these current times, when commercial software developers are scrambling about over the EOL for Windows XP, Ubuntu has a real opportunity to offer a viable, coherent and comprehensive framework for end_uers to consider and the prospects of conversion to the open source is much wider now than is was, lets say, three years ago. Trusty can be better than Lucid was and Lucid was a hallmark in it's own right. Trusty can be more than "linux of for human beings", it can be everyman's and every women's OS.

It can have precision while being oneric, intrepid while being feisty and raring while being saucy. It can be both buisness like and just plain fun to work with. It can be effervescent and exude ambiance while taking us for a ride through cyberspace. This of course will take some work. It will take serious thinking outside the box. Alreading some of these traits are appearing - for example the speed that the toolchain came up and the repos rolled over. But we will have to keep blowing wind into the sails. Experimentation and old bug resolution - but mostly we must keep experimenting. If I were to do experiments on other commercial OSes they tell me "You can't do that !!' But with open source .. 'Yes I can!'

regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

As a tester you can provide testing results for images, packages and hardware at any time! In addition, exploratory testing is highly encouraged. This is were we as manual testers shine! I want to encourage ongoing exploratory testing all throughout the cycle. Run and use the development version of ubuntu on your machine all the time!
    I really like this concept. In a sense, I like to rather call it 'discovery testing' because there is so , so much to discover with Ubuntu.

Thanks Nick.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I like to rather call it 'discovery testing' because there is so , so much to discover with Ubuntu.

Thanks Nick.

Regards..
    +1 Sometimes becomes over whelming the possibilities!
    Good Info Thanks Nick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I plan on using this install upgraded from Saucy, as my main install through the whole development cycle.

During the last cycle, I only did one fresh install, more because I was bored, than for any specific reason, the only really major problem I ran into was when my D-Link nic became useless due to a kernel commit. This problem was quickly diagnosed, and a fix committed.

The only thing I need to do is to keep reminding myself to use my designated test system for anything beyond the regular updates, and leave my main sytem for just day to day usage.