Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does "additional driver' ever work?

Beans

Does "additional driver' ever work?

They have replaced the old "additional driver" aka jockey with the new "additional driver" hidden in softeware-properties-gtk (usually accessed through synaptic or the usc) since 12.10 (?) Aside from the fact that it is hard to discover for the uninitiated, does it even work?? I tried several times but it never worked. I click "apply" and the thing just went on forever without really doing anything. I got impatient and simply closed it and installed the drivers directly from synaptic.

What is your experience? Does it ever work for you? BTW jockey always worked and it would popup to alert you, I don't know why they replace this great piece of software with something so crappy (even if it works it is still crappy because it is hidden, and I am not even sure that it works, hence the thread)

Beans

Re: Does "additional driver' ever work?

it has worked almost every time i used it. have had a couple times i had to manually install the broadcom driver.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

never had a issue with it here
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Works fine here for installing proprietary AMD/ATI drivers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

additional drivers 13.10 ,

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    They have replaced the old "additional driver" aka jockey with the new "additional driver" hidden in softeware-properties-gtk (usually accessed through synaptic or the usc) since 12.10 (?) Aside from the fact that it is hard to discover for the uninitiated, does it even work?? I tried several times but it never worked. I click "apply" and the thing just went on forever without really doing anything. I got impatient and simply closed it and installed the drivers directly from synaptic.

What is your experience? Does it ever work for you? BTW jockey always worked and it would popup to alert you, I don't know why they replace this great piece of software with something so crappy (even if it works it is still crappy because it is hidden, and I am not even sure that it works, hence the thread)

well monkeybrain it does work but takes a long time and the problem is there are no messages so one does not know that the download and install is happening
    as you said synaptic at least "talks you through"

surely it is easy to add a monitor so people know what is happening ... since Ubuntu is clearly aiming at a larger audience steps need to be clearly explained always

also the nouveau default is probably not a good idea at a time when most users probably require vdpau

for the ones new to this

look for Software & Updates then pick Additional Drivers and if you want to see HD content pick NVidia 319 described as the recommended choice and then WAIT! it will tell you when finished

then RELOAD and now you have HD ... well on SMplayer and XBMC to 1080 and sadly only 720 on VLC and Videos/mplayer still

Software & Updates_002.png
    Last edited by shantiq; October 21st, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you mean that it fails to install the driver? Or do you mean that the newly installed proprietary driver breaks the desktop top. Ever since an update to a Nvidia driver broke my 12.04 desktop I no longer trust proprietary video drivers as I once did. I put in test installs of Ubuntu and I now never tick to install third party software because that brings in the proprietary video driver which often breaks the reboot. That does not happen with Nouveau.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The most reliable way I've found for installing proprietary Nvidia drivers, is using the official installer from the Nvidia website. Granted, it comes with its own set of issues but at least I get a fully working driver with best possible hardware accelerated 3d graphics performance there is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Do you mean that it fails to install the driver? Or do you mean that the newly installed proprietary driver breaks the desktop top. Ever since an update to a Nvidia driver broke my 12.04 desktop I no longer trust proprietary video drivers as I once did. I put in test installs of Ubuntu and I now never tick to install third party software because that brings in the proprietary video driver which often breaks the reboot. That does not happen with Nouveau.

Regards.
    It doesn't seem to be doing anything so I just close it and install with synaptic.Maybe it was actually working if I have waited it through since others say it takes a long time. I have never had an issue with Nvidia drivers but then I always get the latest from xorg-edgers.I tried the "additional driver" route several times only out of curiosity (I tried to install bcm-kernel-module on some machine the other day again I sat and waited forever nothing seemed to be happening so I close it and install it with synaptic)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 21st, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Beans

Re: additional drivers 13.10 ,

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    also the nouveau default is probably not a good idea at a time when most users probably require vdpau

I must say nouveau is actually getting very good. Other than vdpau (I don't play very gpu demanding games) I find it smoother than nvidia's blob for 'normal' desktop use. Graphic is really smooth and fluid in 13.10. I have an external drive which I install some versions of Linux on (Debian and Ubuntu at the moment) which I boot off different machines as a portable I can't install proprietary graphic card on that one (or it won't work with machines with a different card) so I am always interested in the state of the open drivers. Read that some vdpau support will be coming to nouveau (already in the alpha channel)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

good news on vdpau support MKB ; i love 720/1080 videos and i guess many others too ...
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast