Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot install Manjaro or Antergos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Cannot install Manjaro or Antergos

Hi all,

I have been trying to install Manjaro Gnome & Antergos in 2 HDD partitions that I was experimenting with Ubuntu Devel release. But cannot get a live session in either.

In both cases with the use of 'nomodeset' I am getting the final CLI screen, after all [ok] boot messages, which says 'Started GDM' & 'Target Reached Graphical Interface', but i am not getting a GUI.
    The operation freezes in that CLI screen.

I have to use 'nomodeset' for installing Ubuntu(all flavors) and 'no splash nomodeset' when I had installed Fedora19.

Attaching my lspci, in case that helps.

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sumo [Radeon HD 6480G]
    00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
    00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 13)
    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH PCI Bridge (rev 40)
    00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:14.7 SD Host controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SD Flash Controller
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
    00:15.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    00:16.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:16.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
    00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
    00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
    00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
    05:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    Any help is appreciated. I have a working Debian Wheezy which did not require any kernel args, btw.
    Currently using Ubuntu Gnome, which was installed with 'nomodeset' & added all metas from Ubuntu Studio.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot install Manjaro or Antergos

A quick glance at the Antergos Forums says that your not the only one!. When I played around with Antergos I switched the resolution at the boot screen. F3, I think, to 1024X768. It booted right into Gnome. Never installed it, but it hangs on boot too after install.

Manjaro Gnome is a community respin so I don't know how much help you'll get there. I was able to boot fine into the openbox default manjaro.

In either case, I would check their repective forums/wiki's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am trying to resolve the problem through Manjaro forums. till now to no avail.

Their only solution seems to be 'nomodeset', which I have tried.
    Thanks for the pointers am now looking at antergos forums too.

By any chance do you also have my kind of hardware?
    bhatta

'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    Thanks for the pointers am now looking at antergos forums too.
    By any chance do you also have my kind of hardware?
    'Started GDM' & 'Target Reached Graphical Interface', but i am not getting a GUI.
    The operation freezes in that CLI screen.
    Just downed Antergos today.
    And nope have completely different hardware than you. And still get the failed gnome LiveCD bootup problem like you.
    This is not a specific hardware issue so much as a booting up the kernel with right grub params and boot script on the LiveCD.

They acknowledged there is an issue with it for many others.
    Don't know about manjaro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    Just downed Antergos today.
    And nope have completely different hardware than you. And still get the failed gnome LiveCD bootup problem like you.
    This is not a specific hardware issue so much as a booting up the kernel with right grub params and boot script on the LiveCD.

They acknowledged there is an issue with it for many others.
    Don't know about manjaro.
    Yep, that is true! I tried to install Antergos in a different Laptop, and it gave same results.

No resolution yet. Antergos Forum is also pretty crammed up place, there is one thread where everybody seems to post about there problem, which is the same one we faced.

Not upto mark yet I should say.

Wanted to try Arch based something without the hassles of Arch installation. IMHO, Come on, I want a working machine, I ain't to understand workings and details of Linux codes. But whatever is needed to after the GUI comes up, gotta know it.
    bhatta

'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    Yep, that is true! I tried to install Antergos in a different Laptop, and it gave same results.

No resolution yet. Antergos Forum is also pretty crammed up place, there is one thread where everybody seems to post about there problem, which is the same one we faced.

Not upto mark yet I should say.

Wanted to try Arch based something without the hassles of Arch installation. IMHO, Come on, I want a working machine, I ain't to understand workings and details of Linux codes. But whatever is needed to after the GUI comes up, gotta know it.
    Exactly the same here guys. Have been trying to simply use the Antergos live disc to no avail. Tried the options offered on the forums but nothing would work.

As you say, I just wanted to try Arch but without the fight to install. There's definitely room for an Arch-based Gnome 3 distro, but Antergos seems a bit hit and miss. Or more miss for me.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Nomodeset is a kernel directive. I'm not sure if that really is your problem, however maybe trying to change kernel versions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing Arch is really not the headache its made out to be. Its rather straight forward.

Antergos: The gui installer has bugs obviously. Has anyone tried the command line installer yet? Same issue?

BridgeLinux also is Arch based and it has a Gnome 3 download available. But it has issues too. The autologin service persist into the new install and it loops the login over and over. alt+F2 can trick it into GDM and from there you can log in. If not you have to chroot into the install and manually stop the autologin and start getty.

ArchBang is an Openbox Arch based distro and as far as I know it works as advertized. Installing that and before doing anything else install Gnome 3.

pacman -S gnome

pacman -S gnome-extra

Then go grab a coffee.

With these distros, always do your research first. Both Arch and ArchBang have wikis. Just remember only use the Arch Forums for Arch. You go on there for Antergos or such your thread will be closed. But the wiki is fair game and can answer many of your questions for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Allavona View Post
    Installing Arch is really not the headache its made out to be. Its rather straight forward.

Antergos: The gui installer has bugs obviously. Has anyone tried the command line installer yet? Same issue?

BridgeLinux also is Arch based and it has a Gnome 3 download available. But it has issues too. The autologin service persist into the new install and it loops the login over and over. alt+F2 can trick it into GDM and from there you can log in. If not you have to chroot into the install and manually stop the autologin and start getty.

ArchBang is an Openbox Arch based distro and as far as I know it works as advertized. Installing that and before doing anything else install Gnome 3.

pacman -S gnome

pacman -S gnome-extra

Then go grab a coffee.

With these distros, always do your research first. Both Arch and ArchBang have wikis. Just remember only use the Arch Forums for Arch. You go on there for Antergos or such your thread will be closed. But the wiki is fair game and can answer many of your questions for you.
    @ Kevdog : Yes, nomodeset doesn't seem to the problem here. Looks like its some problem with the installation module.

@Allavona: I really don't want to mix 2 DE's. Always have had a bad experience when I have installed either KDE or Gnome on top of UbuntuStudio, which comes with stock Xfce.

& yes, I will read up Arch installation, if it's not a headache as you say, I am willing to get my hands dirty rather than having 2 DE's.
    bhatta

'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Well, I've downloaded the Arch iso, and installed Virtualbox on my current Ubuntu setup. For the amount of time spent trying to get easier Arch based distros going, I could have just opened up the Arch wiki and done it from scratch!

If it goes well I may switch to it, but I don't think I'll be removing my Ubuntu partition any time soon.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast