Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 crashes my Brother HL-1470N printer

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 crashes my Brother HL-1470N printer

This is very odd. I have had our Brother HL-1470N LASER network printer for a very long time and it has always worked fine from Windows. I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop to make the switch from Windows and most of the time it crashes or locks up the printer in a state that can only be recovered by a hard boot on the printer. I cannot access the web administration console after attempting to print from Ubuntu. I can print the Ubuntu test page without crashing the printer so I know it isn't entirely wrong. Does anyone have any ideas of how to approach solving this?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 crashes my Brother HL-1470N printer

Hi Scott
    I get the same problem with the same printer. Did you get any help somewhere to have your 1470N work with Ubuntu? I am with 13.04

Thank you

In the end with test page I get a second page with:
    Code:
    ERROR:
    limitcheck
    OFFENDING COMMAND:
    Type42BuildGlyph
    STACK:
    -mark-
    -mark-
    -mark-
    Last edited by Byb; December 15th, 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Beans

I just reached to have my first print success : I changed the printer properties to
    URI socket://10.xxx.xxx.101:9100 (unchanged)
    Make/model : Brother HL-1470N - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9
    and selected "Use the new PPD file as is" in the last wizard config pop-up window (non default option)

BR-Script2 and foomatic/postscript didn't work
    Last edited by Byb; December 15th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Beans

I tried making changes like that without any luck. I don't recall if I tried exactly what you mentioned above, but I ended up giving up on both Ubuntu for the desktop OS and dumping the printer. There were a lot of reasons why I went this direction. This issue was a minor contributor. I'm glad you got it working. Thanks for sharing your results! That was driving me batty.