Thread: Can't boot from USB on ASUS Eee PC 1215T

Beans

Can't boot from USB on ASUS Eee PC 1215T

Hi everybody! I have an ASUS Eee PC 1215T that I can't boot from USB (a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8GB). I googled a bit, but I really think I have done everything right. At the moment, the Eee PC does not have any OS installed, so the only thing I can do is create a bootable USB device (from another computer), and boot from the USB stick to install Ubuntu.

Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded Ubuntu 13.10 x64
    2. Used Rufus to create a bootable USB by specifying in the options the ubuntu ISO.
    3. Set up in the BIOS the following things:
      1. Boot Device Priority: [Removable dev.] as 1st Boot Device
      2. Boot Settings Configuration: Quiet Boot Disabled
      3. OnBoard LAN Boot ROM: Disabled

4. To be even more sure that I'm really booting from the USB, I hit the ESC key when I read the POST message, and when the "Please select boot device:" popup appears, I select "USB: SanDisk Cruzer"

At this point, there is just the black screen with a blinking cursor on the second line from the top. No further input is possible.

Ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can't boot from USB on ASUS Eee PC 1215T

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

1. Have you checked with md5sum, that the download was successful? See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

2. Try some other method to create the USB boot drive. See these links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Ubuntu Forums tutorial "Howto make USB boot drives"

Do you intend to make a dual boot system or an Ubuntu only system?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Some of the Sandisks contain an annoying software package called U3, which should be removed before using the stick. I have one of them which works fine after being liberated from U3.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is the Asus a 64-bit machine? My guess is that you are trying to install a 64-bit operating system on a 32-bit machine, which as far as I know is not possible. Try the 32-bit .iso and see if you can boot from there.

Luke Morrison

Beans
    Distro

If that were the problem the system would have given an explicit error message about 32/64 bit. It would not fail silently.

Boot options like NOMODESET might be necessary, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't mean to be contrary, but I have a 32-bit machine (no lm flag in /proc/cpuinfo) which if I run a 32-bit .iso loads up fine, whereas with a 64-bit .iso, it gives the exact same symptoms as the OP. It does not even give an option for nomodeset. I have been able to repeat this on two separate machines and I get the same behaviour with multiple .iso files. Maybe it is a bug, but it is repeatable.

Beans
    Distro

That sounds strange. For testing I just tried to boot a 32 bit computer with a 64 bit ISO, and it gave me a

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Well, let's hear from original poster what happens with a 32 bit ISO. I don't expect it will make any difference (also because I believe the processor is a 64 bit AMD Neo which should be able to run everything).

It's an interesting problem, if it's repeatable. Please open a new thread about the missing error message for others to chip in.

Beans

Hi everybody, thank you for your support. Time for a bit of follow-up:

1. The iso download was succesful, as I checked the MD5 hash
    2. One of the first thing I did when I got the stick, was removing the U3 bundle software. I hate it!
    3. As I checked here, the 1215T has a AMD Athlon II Neo K125 processor, that supports 64bit.
    4. I also tried creating a bootable stick with the 32bit version, but with no luck. When I try to install Ubuntu, I have the same black screen with the cursor and no error message.

The good news is that in the end I made it work. Apparently the problem was in a combination of some bad blocks in the stick, and the procedure to burn the ISO. After many tries, some of which a bit mindless, the installation started. To be honest I can't exactly say what I did, but to everybody that might have a similar problem I would suggest to change USB stick or to check it for memory errors.

See you around!

Beans
    Distro

Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.