Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot log out or shutdown from top panel

Beans

Cannot log out or shutdown from top panel

Hey all! Since I updated to 13.10, I have been unable to either log out or shut down from the top panel. I can lock the session though. I can still shut down or reboot thru the terminal. When I choose either of teh two options, nothing happens. Any body else have this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cannot log out or shutdown from top panel

No
    Did you test a new user?
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Good idea! Ok, so I can switch users to my son's account and the logout/shutdown works. Also he is a standard user, and I am admin
    Last edited by mickee384; October 20th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mickee384 View Post
    Good idea! Ok, so I can switch users to my son's account and the logout/shutdown works. Also he is a standard user, and I am admin
    Sounds like something go messed up in your hidden user settings. I really can't tell you where and my solution would likely be overkill.
    See if any one else has a bright idea
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Thanks for the idea. Will look at permissions. I will post back what I can, but am still looking for an answer (i'm not really strong in terminal)

Beans

so interesting... I can shutdown, log out and restart using the add on "classic menu indicator" (system settings), also if I use the same features in the dash. Just can't activate these from the panel. From the panel I can suspend or lock. I checked the logs, i'm not seeing that the clicks on shutdown for example do anything at all under my user. (works on another user, they are standard, I am admin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have the same problem with Saucy 13.10. In Gnome Flashback the button in the top right panel will allow me to logout and suspend but, that is all. Sometimes there is a restart option but it won't restart.
    Other times there is just a shutdown option and it doesn't work either.

I use the logout button from Cairo Dock to logout and restart.

Pretty sure this problem is limited to Gnome Flashback. I never had any problem with Unity but, I prefer Flashback.

I thought this would be fixed before final release but, it was not.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans

sorry, what's gnome flashback?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mickee384 View Post
    sorry, what's gnome flashback?
    Gnome Classic - install via sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback. Then logout and it will be one of the available sessions. It has the top and bottom panels like the previous versions of Gnome.

It went from Gnome Classic to Gnome Fallback to Gnome Flashback.

You'll need Cairo Dock too to restart, Unless you want to open terminal and enter sudo reboot to restart.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; October 22nd, 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added last line
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans

I see. Yeah, prior to 12.10 I had gnome as a fallback. Think they removed it from 12.10 and I don't have it now. I have the option to shutdown, restart etc thru the dash, but may be simpler to add the functionality to the cairo-dock. What I find weird is teh panel shutdown option still doesn't work, yet I can shut down using the classic indicator applet. I really am hoping to get the shut down, restart and log off available in the top panel. The buttons are functional on my son'd account and he's a limited user, whereas I am admin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast