Thread: Ubuntu On An External HD Running Through A Chromebook

Beans

Ubuntu On An External HD Running Through A Chromebook

I intend to buy a new low priced laptop. From what I've seen the Google Chromebook by Acer is looking like it has what I want minus storage and Ubuntu. My 2008 Apple computer can boot to and run OS X from an external HDD. I would like to buy an external HDD and put Ubuntu on it. Then I want to plug it into the Acer C 720 and run Ubuntu as my main OS. I want to do everything on that external HDD. It will be the base of my machine. It will just use the Acer hardware as the IO. Has anybody done this using a Chromebook?

Doing this will allow me to keep the Chrome OS so I can just run the Google apps and play Netflix without any problems. For anything and everything else I can just plug in the external HDD and do my regular stuff. I have run a live CD and live USB in the past from my HP computer tower. The Chromebook will have a USB 3 port which will make things faster than on my old HP machine.

To me this seems like a great solution to get both OSs and everything I want. What do you think? Is there a way to do this? Let me know.

Thank you.

Smallwheels

Beans

Re: Ubuntu On An External HD Running Through A Chromebook

Does anybody know how to boot into Ubuntu from an external hard drive using a Google Chromebook? I'd still like to know just how to do it before purchasing an Acer C 720 Chromebook. I think I would have the best of both worlds if I did this. The Chromebook would maintain its own software and I could run Ubuntu from the external hard drive for other work. What do you think?

Beans

Yes.

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/...720-chromebook

Not as easy as tapping a key on a normal laptop, but it is possible.

Not sure of compatibility or drivers with that model, but a quick google search gave me the above link.

Beans

Did this work? I completely agree that this would be 'the best of both worlds'. I plan to do the same thing with my C720. Did it work? Did you run into any problems?