Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info-docs for all my installed programs

Beans

info-docs for all my installed programs

I would like to install info-pages where there are such written for thoose programs which I have installed on my system.

Please escuse me for not being more clear in what I want to do, if I could put it more simple and better . I am sure I could find it on google.
    Last edited by *PTR; October 20th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: info-docs for all my installed programs

/usr/share/doc ? Thats what comes to mind, but I don't think its a good place to store files. Can you give us an example of info-pages

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Any info pages will be installed when you install the program, as far as I know, and I'm not sure that every program has info pages available. Are there any particular programs you need help with?

Beans

I have both avconv and *Real* ffmpeg installed. ffmpeg did I install from source.
    For neither of them I have the info-files installed, but it seems as it exists for both.

ffmpeg:https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blo...oc/ffmpeg.texi

avconv:http://https://gitorious.org/ffmpeg/...oc/avconv.texi

I also know that I have them in the folder from where I installed - eg git/fmpeg/doc. So I can go to that directory and run
    Code:
    info ./ffmpeg.texi
    But I have no Idea how to install them from there, but thats not whats I am going to ask about.

I will find out myself how to install them from my folder. I suppose that it is a flag to configure.
    Else I just could copy the files by hand.

What I really would like to know, if the info-files is not included whem I do an apt-get install, is there a parameter I can pass to get them while I install new software.?

Or could I tell apt to update all the missing info-files for one of my installed package, for example, avconv.?
    Last edited by *PTR; November 3rd, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Beans

Have you installed FFmpeg courtesy of the FFmpeg wiki? The docs (and there are some nice html docs in there) should be built in the presence of texi2html. On my non-ubuntu system I package the following:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros/usr/share/doc/ffmpeg$ ls -C
    COPYING.GPLv2     errno.txt                      ffmpeg-scaler.html  git-howto.txt       optimization.txt
    COPYING.GPLv3     faq.html                       ffmpeg-utils.html   issue_tracker.txt   platform.html
    COPYING.LGPLv2.1  fate.html                      ffmpeg.SlackBuild   libavcodec.html     rate_distortion.txt
    COPYING.LGPLv3    fate.txt                       ffmpeg.html         libavdevice.html    snow.txt
    CREDITS           ffmpeg-all.html                ffmpeg.txt          libavfilter.html    soc.txt
    Changelog         ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html  ffplay-all.html     libavformat.html    swresample.txt
    INSTALL           ffmpeg-codecs.html             ffplay.html         libavutil.html      swscale.txt
    MAINTAINERS       ffmpeg-devices.html            ffprobe-all.html    libswresample.html  tablegen.txt
    README            ffmpeg-filters.html            ffprobe.html        libswscale.html     viterbi.txt
    avutil.txt        ffmpeg-formats.html            filter_design.txt   mips.txt
    build_system.txt  ffmpeg-protocols.html          general.html        multithreading.txt
    developer.html    ffmpeg-resampler.html          git-howto.html      nut.html
    andrew@skamandros/usr/share/doc/ffmpeg$
    although this could do with some weeding out . Perhaps FakeOutdoorsman could suggest some additional syntax to package up the more useful docs into an easy to find location...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    although this could do with some weeding out . Perhaps FakeOutdoorsman could suggest some additional syntax to package up the more useful docs into an easy to find location...
    The ffmpeg compile guide should install the html formatted docs to:
    Code:
    ~/ffmpeg_build/share/doc/ffmpeg
    I should mention that in the guide. I also haven't yet dealt with the man pages, unfortunately.

Beans

Thanks for thoose great advices.
    And now - back to topic

How can I tell apt to install missing tex-info files for, for example avcomv - as it is not installed by default.?
    Last edited by *PTR; November 4th, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I think you may have to bookmark that . http://libav.org/avconv.html
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Online docs apply only to the code/builds from git master. Users of releases should refer to the documentation included in their package or build (if they are included).

Beans

So if you use apt, there is no way to get the texi-files which originally is included in the buildtree.?

Does that mean that the ubuntu.developers selectively choose for us to not get the more informative texi documents if we not search for them online.?

And yes, I know that there is lot of different document-formats on the web containing that info, but I would like to find a way so I as easily as possibly could read them within my beloved shell, and yo not have go and search for that info for every single program where I find the manpages is not enough.
    Last edited by *PTR; November 5th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast