Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) known bugs and work arounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

13.10 (Saucy Salamander) known bugs and work arounds

During the development cycle, Suacy was pretty reliable, I only needed to do a fresh install once in the 6 months.

Aside from a kernel problem, where a commit was made that disabled my D-Link nic, that was quickly diagnosed and fixed with the help of Joseph Salisbury, there aren't any glaring kernel errors.

Please post how you worked around any bugs that you run into.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) known bugs and work arounds

Install Citrix Receiver on Ubuntu 13.10?

Some members have had a problem installing Citrix Receiver, the solution is in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2166020

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Edit: an update has fixed this issue, if you have this issue install updates and restart the panel (xfce4-panel -r)
    ------------Original post below------------------
    Broken sound indicator on the xfce panel [bug report]
    the workaround for this is the replace the Exec line of /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service with this line
    Code:
    Exec=/bin/sh -c 'if [ -n "$(ps -U $USER | grep xfce4-panel)" ]; then /usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service;else /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-sound/indicator-sound-service;fi'
    there is a installer for this workaround here (from comment #65)
    this has to be done every time the sound indicator is updated without a long term fix for this issue
    This workaround is specific to the 64bit version
    the workaround line for 32bit is this:
    Code:
    Exec=/bin/sh -c 'if [ -n "$(ps -U $USER | grep xfce4-panel)" ];  then /usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service;else  /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/indicator-sound/indicator-sound-service;fi'
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; February 21st, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Install Citrix Receiver on Ubuntu 13.10?

Some members have had a problem installing Citrix Receiver, the solution is in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2166020
    For those not liking to wade through three pages of messages: that was the one that worked for me.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12816007
    It only worked with the beta version as mentionned in the post. I also tried the procedure with a stable deb, but although you can make the deb "installable" without errors, the executable still looks for libasound.so.2 at runtime.

Issues I encountered:

- global menu is slower to "populate". This is particularly an issue with gimp. Even after clicking the main window, it takes some time before the correct menu items are available. Small delay, but enough to seriously distract and disrupt the work flow.
    - Global menu with libreoffice is still crippled: impossible to open it using the keyboard: alt-key accelerators do not work. Other problems (HUD not working, no proper icons or no icons in the launcher) seem to have been solved, although icon issues sometimes reappear on intensive use (opening/closing many LO windows).

Workaround: get rid of the global menu (again! I would love to keep the global menus).

- Date randomly is not there on the status bar. Sometimes, the system starts up without date/time indicator. A reboot resolves that. Does not happen a lot. I am not alone: I have seen it mentionned by other users.

Overall, this is a version with not a lot of changes, but one that to me overall feels as an improvement over the previous edition: it feels smooth, and graphics effects in particular are very smooth now on my system.

Beans

In Lubuntu 13.10, xfce4-power-manager may not start by itself: xfce4-power-manager is not running by default with Lubuntu 13.10

A workaround is to edit ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf. The beginning of this file has:
    Code:
    [Session]
    windows_manager/command=openbox
    windows_manager/session=Lubuntu
    windows_manager/extras=
    panel/command=lxpanel
    panel/session=Lubuntu
    screensaver/command=
    power_manager/command=xfce4-power-manager
    file_manager/command=pcmanfm
    file_manager/session=lubuntu
    file_manager/extras=
    Modify the line starting with power_manager/command= to read as shown above. A log-out or reboot maybe needed.

Beans

the unity dash uses some openGL2.1 extensions if available. the GMA 945GME with mesa 9.2 and the i915 driver only support openGL 1.4 in hardware with openGL 2.1 extensions being rendered on the cpu. this makes the dash unbearably slow on netbooks.

fix is to force openGL version back to 1.4
    "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=1.4" to the bottom of /etc/environment

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Well, Lubuntu here too, but the version number matches

I had a problem with LXAppearance:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2179911

Solved, but not with the package provided by default. I would still not have my preferred Look & Feel if I had used the packages "intended" for my distro...
    Nobody ever replied...
    (And unfortunately this forum is so INSANELY busy that if my post is unattended for one day, it may have been pushed back 3 or 4 whole pages, so hardly anybody would care about it again. And since you know from the "Google phenomenon", everything that is on page 3 or higher virtually does not exist for people. A classic Catch-22.)
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; October 27th, 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you want to use gnome flashback and have a working screensaver here is a way that mc4man showed me how and it works great.
    You currently cannot uninstall gnome-screensaver and use xscreensaver because gnome-session-flashback has a dependency of gnome-screensaver.
    Here is the bug for it. There was not enough interest to get it fixed. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1199074

Here is the original thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2160563

Paste this into gedit and save it as editdeb in your home directory:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

EDITOR=gedit

if [[ -z "$1" ]]; then
      echo "Syntax: $0 debfile"
      exit 1
    fi

DEBFILE="$1"
    TMPDIR=`mktemp -d /tmp/deb.XXXXXXXXXX` || exit 1
    OUTPUT=`basename "$DEBFILE" .deb`.modfied.deb

if [[ -e "$OUTPUT" ]]; then
      echo "$OUTPUT exists."
      rm -r "$TMPDIR"
      exit 1
    fi

dpkg-deb -x "$DEBFILE" "$TMPDIR"
    dpkg-deb --control "$DEBFILE" "$TMPDIR"/DEBIAN

if [[ ! -e "$TMPDIR"/DEBIAN/control ]]; then
      echo DEBIAN/control not found.

rm -r "$TMPDIR"
      exit 1
    fi

CONTROL="$TMPDIR"/DEBIAN/control

MOD=`stat -c "%y" "$CONTROL"`
    $EDITOR "$CONTROL"

if [[ "$MOD" == `stat -c "%y" "$CONTROL"` ]]; then
      echo Not modfied.
    else
      echo Building new deb...
      dpkg -b "$TMPDIR" "$OUTPUT"
    fi

rm -r "$TMPDIR"
    Enter in terminal mkdir -p ~/bin then mv ~/editdeb ~/bin/editdeb.

Enter chmod u+x ~/bin/editdeb.

Then restart to add ~/bin to your path.

Then get the name of the flashback deb file from /var/cache/apt/archives/
    Open a terminal and enter editdeb "gnome-session-flashback deb file" (in the parens is the exact name of the deb file).

It's easier if you just open a terminal, enter editdeb and then drag and drop the file name from /var/cache/apt/archives/ onto the terminal.
    When the control file opens for edit, delete the dependency gnome-screensaver and add a .1 to the file name.
    See this post for a perfect example that mc4man posted. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12744777

Then once you have it saved. The deb that was created should be in your home directory.
    Find the name and enter this sudo dpkg -i deb-file-name.
    It should look some thing like this: sudo dpkg -i gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu15_all.modfied.deb

Then you will be able to remove gnome-screensaver sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver and install xscreensaver and add it to your startup applications.

While you are at it if this is important to you, add your name on that bug at the top of this post.

This is important to me but all thanks go to mc4man!

Beans
    Distro

No sound or sound issues in Skype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by paulmckellar View Post
    the unity dash uses some openGL2.1 extensions if available. the GMA 945GME with mesa 9.2 and the i915 driver only support openGL 1.4 in hardware with openGL 2.1 extensions being rendered on the cpu. this makes the dash unbearably slow on netbooks.

fix is to force openGL version back to 1.4
    "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=1.4" to the bottom of /etc/environment
    This was fixed during development.
    Are you still having issues with this?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174563&page=3
    post #22
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast