Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) known bugs and work arounds

Beans

Data corruption bug when packet-writing DVD+RWs with kernel 3.11.0-12-generic

I found an apparent bug where writing data to UDF-formatted DVD+RW discs from a packet-writing device (such as /dev/pktcdvd/pktcdvd0) in kernel 3.11.0-12-generic seems to corrupt the disc's entire filesystem.

I found this while trying to initialize a new DVD+RW disc (for the first time since upgrading to 13.10), using the normal sequence of operations: first format the fresh disc (with dvd+rw-format), then attach a new packet-writing device (with pktsetup), then create a new empty UDF filesystem on that device (with mkudffs), and then mount that new filesystem (with mount). Every time I've done this before (as far as I can remember, at least) it worked, but this time the last step failed with this error:
    Code:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    I then tried rebooting the system (after having detached the packet writing device, forcing it to flush the blank-filesystem data to the disc) and retrying to mount the disc (this time in read-only mode, using the plain /dev/sr0 device node instead of a packet-writin device), but got the same error.

Immediately prior to trying to initialize the new disc, though, I had mounted two different partially-full DVD+RW discs (which had both been initialized from 13.04, before 13.10 was released) and written new files to them. So, I tried to read both of those discs, and found that both of them now also fail to mount! Then I tried reading some older DVD+RWs that had not been written to since upgrading to 13.10, and these still seem to work correctly.

Finally, I tried rebooting into kernel version 3.8.0-31-generic, redoing the mkudffs on the new DVD+RW, and retrying to mount the new filesystem; this time, it mounted successfully, so I copied files to it, unmounted it, detached the packet-writing device, remounted the disc in read-only mode (from the plain /dev/sr0 device), and again it appears to have been mounted correctly. Unfortunately, the two other discs still fail to mount from this kernel version, so it seems they've really been corrupted. This leads me to believe that the cause of the problems is a data-corruption bug that exists in the newer kernel version but not in the older one.

Note: searching the web for "3.11" data corruption lead me to this kernel patch, which fixes a bug in the bio_copy_data block-layer API function. I looked at the linux_3.11.0.orig.tar.gz and linux_3.11.0-12.19.diff.gz source-package files, and as far as I can tell, that bugfix is not yet in Ubuntu's linux-image-3.11.0-12-generic package as of version 3.11.0-12.19.

Update 2013-10-30: Today I tried rebuilding the linux-image-3.11.0-12-generic package with that one patch added, but unfortunately the problem still occurred for me when running on the new kernel, so it looks like this is a completely different bug. I suppose I should report it upstream.
    Last edited by amunkres; October 31st, 2013 at 03:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) known bugs and work arounds

I've removed a few posts that distracted from the focus of this thread. From the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Please post how you worked around any bugs that you run into.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bug: Print Screen Key does nothing when pressed in Lubuntu 13.10
    Workaround: modify lubuntu-rc.xml as described here: "Print Screen" doesn't work in Lubuntu 13.10?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

Problems with disabling tap-to-click in autostart: in 13.04, it was possible to make entries in /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart. Adding "@synclient MaxTapTime=0" to autostart would disable tap-to-click. That does not work in 13.10.
    Workaround: use the new GUI provided by Menu, Preferences, Default applications for LXSession as described here.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

Ok, just found out that cups-pdf doesn't work in Saucy, whatever you try to print it produces a blank page with the name PDF.pdf in the directory $HOME/PDF (strangely it does work with pdf-xchange-viewer in WiNE, which I use for filling pdf forms)

Here is the bug report and the work around in post #12 fixed my problem.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...f/+bug/1236120

Beans

Saucy, get Bluetooth working and disable Bluetooth device by default on boot

Hi there,

have a workaround for two bluetooth problems in saucy:

Problems:
    1. bluetooth was not working for a2dp audio ( => "stream setup failed")
    2. bluetooth device was always on by default on boot (google gave that this has been an issue in Ubuntu since years ...... very sad that)

Workarounds:
    -> 1. In order to get bluetooth running at all I had to install the blueman package from debian's repositories. I took "blueman_1.23-1_amd64.deb"
    and locked that version to prevent useless updates

-> 2. Since im using a laptop (samsung np900x3f) and want to optimize (that is minimize) power consumption i want that bluetooth stays disabled
    after booting and logging in. But the bluetooth device is always ON by default even though I have changed the related entries (in /etc/blutooth/main.conf
    "InitiallyPowered = false") => no effect.
    Im using xubuntu 13.10 but I think that this is a general issue in ubuntu and from google searches I took that this problem has been occuring since years (!!!) .
    (for example https://bugs.launchpad.net/blueman/+bug/908375)

For a workaround I did two things:

a) add in /etc/rc.local before "exit 0": "rfkill block bluetooth" (that alone is not enough, because after logging in bluetooth is reenabled through blueman)
    b) I figured out today that i had to disable the "KillSwitch" Plugin from the blueman tool (from the blueman menu you get using the right
    mouse button on the bluetooth icon in the panel). The PowerManager plugin stays on.

Now, when toggling bluetooth on/off the bluetooth icon disappears for off-state. But thats not important to me. In on-state it just reappears. When i boot,
    bluetooth is off now, if i want bluetooth it is on me to use the laptop's function keys for toggeling ON.
    Obviously the KillSwitch plugin causes the problem, maybe in conjunction with the PowerManager Plugin it is depending on. Entries in diverse config files
    never brought an effect on the initial power state which I tried to get.
    Other users had the same issues. I thinks its time for the ubuntu team to fix/stabilize these kind of BASIC things... i am getting really tired with that and i am not
    the only one. If i wanted to have an OS being complicated or impossible to configure and to get running basic things with pain I could just stay with windows...

Greetings
    Last edited by Lops; November 13th, 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cinnamon 2.0 No Longer Breaks Unity In Ubuntu 13.10

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/11/cinna...-unity-in.html
    A quick update for Ubuntu 13.10 users: the latest Cinnamon from the stable PPA no longer breaks Unity so it's safe to install it in Ubuntu 13.10

Beans
    Distro

When viewing Youtube on older Intel graphics cards (82845, for example) the videos might turn into funky green/purple colours, and in general the resolution and colour depth is poor.

The workaround is adding an xorg.conf as described here.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    For those not liking to wade through three pages of messages: that was the one that worked for me.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12816007
    It only worked with the beta version as mentionned in the post. I also tried the procedure with a stable deb, but although you can make the deb "installable" without errors, the executable still looks for libasound.so.2 at runtime.
    I ended up installing the Citrix Receiver in a 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 virtual machine. It appears to work ok, but I haven't tried to do any serious work with it.

Beans

Re: No sound or sound issues in Skype

Sorry, doesn't seem to work on my systems. Skype is not available on the Ubuntu or Canonical menu's under 'all Software'. It seemed to work fine until I upgraded to 13.10. Now I'm considering downgrading to 13.4. 13.10 has nothing for me. 13.10 also does not recognize my web cam / mike (MS 7000). I am on dual boot with Win 7 & Ubuntu on separate partitions. Every time that I boot to the other system, the system clock jumps 6 hours ahead. If one is concerned with the correct time coding of files etc. this could be a serious issue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast