Thread: Problem with downloading articles from university library

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Problem with downloading articles from university library

I've been trying to search for this problem, but using keywords like "library" and "database" is proving impossible since it pulls up computer related library/database problems. So, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm having a problem accessing articles and e-books through my university's library only on Ubuntu. I can access the articles just fine on another computer (macbook) signed into the same account, so the problem seems to be limited to this computer/OS.

I can search within my library's search and individual databases without a problem.
    I can see the articles, but when I click on the "Full text online" link, it just sits there and never loads the actual database page.

I've tried on Chrome and Firefox, so it doesn't appear to be a browser problem. I have tried using the main search, and going directly into a database. Both ways I can search, view the articles, but not actually get into any of the articles.

I'm just at a complete standstill here, and don't have any idea what might be the problem.

The library website is: www.emich.edu/library - you can search off-campus, but I'm not sure that will help since it requires a user name and password to get to the point of downloading anything.

Any help, ideas, thoughts, theories would be really appreciated! But please be gentle, I'm an English teacher, not a programmer/IT professional

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Problem with downloading articles from university library

Hi, I'm a philosophy teacher -- now retired -- so I can give you only limited help. But from your description of the problem I suspect that
    a) your Library requires a special 'plugin' to be installed in your browser in order to display the text of the articles and
    b) you either haven't got that plugin installed, or you haven't got the right version of it, or it isn't available for installation in Ubuntu.

I've certainly encountered similar problems myself: one a financial website, where the required plugin is only available for one of the browsers I use, and another a music website which will only work with a specific Microsoft plugin that won't work on anything except Windows.

The best advice I can offer is to hunt through the Library's website for information about the technical specifications needed to display the text of articles. I see the website also offers the facility to contact a librarian so you might do better that way: they are bound to have an IT support person who is constantly being asked this kind of question.

Once you know the plugin required, you can come back to this forum to ask how to get and install it, if you need to.

I hope that is some help.
    Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!

A guess on my part. Possibly Digital Rights Management (DRM). Ubuntu may not support the DRM used by the Library. Contact the library.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; October 19th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for the ideas - I'm still looking into it. No luck yet, but hopefully I can figure out if there is a DRM or plug-in issue.