Thread: I want to build a dedicated internet radio/ music player...

Beans

I want to build a dedicated internet radio/ music player...

...based on a small linux box. What I envision is a small screen, a small mini-pc, keyboard, and a good audio card; which I can hook up to an off the shelf audio amp. Anyone know where I can find some info on where to start?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: I want to build a dedicated internet radio/ music player...

One possibility is an ASUS "nettop" device like this one. Note that this machine has an NVIDIA Ion display which means you can connect it to a TV and use it for HD video, too. It only has an SP/DIF audio connector, which would be good for your purposes if your amplifer supports that. You might need to futz a bit to get that working, though it looks like you only need to edit one file.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was going to recommend a Raspberry Pi until I read this: http://www.electronicsweekly.com/new...ry-pi-2013-07/

But there are some interesting High-Fidelity solutions: http://www.raspyfi.com/
    Last edited by tgalati4; October 19th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Thanks for the replies. I think I need to step back and read a bit more about all of the options out there. I have a Squeezebox Boom that I love, but it's a bit dated. I need to research the various audio technologies, and also see what's already out there so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Any further suggestions welcome!