Thread: Ubuntu One setup on 10.04

Beans

Ubuntu One setup on 10.04

Old laptop runs Ubuntu 10.04 and I am trying to setup sync on Ubuntu One. I have registered my account on the web page. System, Pref, U One brings up a box which says "Disconnected" but i can't find a way to connect. Help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Forgot to say have clicked on Devices/Connect/Restart but nothing happens and it still says Disconnected.
    Last edited by fred19; October 19th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Ubuntu One setup on 10.04

10.04 is out of support. Your best option is a fresh install of 13.10.

Please write again if you still have the problem in 13.10.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Or, depending on the age of the laptop, install 12.04

The issue of Ubuntu One in 10.04 not working any more has come up previously. It's not going to be fixed.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

Well thats a bummer, so you can run Ubuntu One on an old version of Windows but not an old version of Ubuntu !!!!

I have tried the 12.04 version and later and posted quite a few times as it won't run the graphics card on my Dell Inspiron.

Anyway thanks for the replies. Anyone recommend an alternative to Ubuntu One?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I don't see any threads from you dealing with graphics card problems. In fact you have not even given a complete hardware description.

This might be worth reading:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

Anyway, if you prefer searching for an alternative to Ubuntu One it's your decision.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Or, depending on the age of the laptop, install 12.04

The issue of Ubuntu One in 10.04 not working any more has come up previously. It's not going to be fixed.
    Yes and people keep saying that it's because 10.04 is out of support but the issue is not that 10.04 has a problem, the issue is that Canonical broke compatibility of the service. This is a Ubuntu One problem not a 10.04. People don't mind not getting security updates and feature updates. The problem is when Canonical takes something working and makes it NOT working for a bunch of users.

They can say they don't support 10.04 all they want but you KNOW they will make whatever fixes necessary for Android and OSX and Windows and none of those are Canonical systems. 10.04 isn't broken. UbuntuOne service is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fred19 View Post
    Well thats a bummer, so you can run Ubuntu One on an old version of Windows but not an old version of Ubuntu !!!!
    Yes, it's all part of Canonical's plan to make users migrate to other operating systems and other service providers. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it is working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    For what it's worth, Dropbox is still working on 10.04. Google probably works fine too. Far less risky and probably easier to move from UbuntuOne to some other online service than to update the distro, retune, update all the apps and learn all the changes (and new bugs) to them.
    Last edited by scoulson; February 3rd, 2014 at 11:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Using Ubuntu 10.04 is not recommended as it has reached EOL some time ago... Older versions of Windows like Windows XP is still supported by Microsoft so it makes sense that most applications will still work in it. Update to a newer version of Ubuntu.

Thread closed.