Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 won't play videos, even after installin Ubuntu Restricted Extras.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04 won't play videos, even after installin Ubuntu Restricted Extras.

Tried all players. Every of them play the sound, but they wont play the video.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 won't play videos, even after installin Ubuntu Restricted Extras.

Which video codecs are failing? h.264, mpeg4, mpeg2, mpeg1, AVC, xvid, divx, or some proprietary files like mov, qt, rm, wmv?

Does VLC play the videos? ( If VLC can't play it, I don't need to see it.) Seriously, VLC should handle most video codecs.

Does youtube work?

If the resolution for the files are relatively low - 480 or less - and the video codecs are open, pretty much any computer should play them fine. Of course, video drivers can get in the way.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 won't play videos, even after installin Ubuntu Restricted Extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevensthunar View Post
    Tried all players. Every of them play the sound, but they wont play the video.
    Did you install libdvdcss?
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 12.04 won't play videos, even after installin Ubuntu Restricted Extras.

Hi. I fixed the problem. Installed x264 package and everything works fine. (except bluray videos, (sadly) i have a 1024x768 monitor)