Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

Beans

Re: error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    hd0 is the equivalent of /dev/sda, but your Linux installation is on /dev/sdb which grub calls hd1.

Do you still get the menu of kernel choices if you boot from the hard drive? If so, you can try editing the commands to boot by going to Advanced, selecting the entry for the new kernel with the cursor, and hitting "e" to edit. Try replacing the entry for "hd0" in the "set root=" line with "hd1" and continuing the boot with F10. If that works, you can make the change permanent like this.

Reboot and follow the same approach above but choose the "recovery mode" kernel instead. Choose "root shell" from the options when they are presented to you. Next run "mount -o remount,rw /" to make the filesystem writable. Now go to /boot/grub and run "chmod u+rw grub.cfg" so you can edit the file. Replace the "hd0" with "hd1" in the "set root=" line and save the file. Then use "chmod u-w grub.cfg" to make it read-only again. Now try rebooting and see if it uses the right hard drive.
    Yes, after re-installing grub I can now boot from the hard drive and get the kernel choices. However, after hitting "e" I see that the line in question already shows: "set root='hd1,msdos1'", so that doesn't seem to be the problem, unless there is something fishy with the msdos1 word. Again, if a boot another kernel, it boots alright, however only in low graphics mode that I cannot change with the "Display" GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

That 160GB HD, is that a USB HD? If it is a usb Hard Drive, read this topic. Maybe you can find something that you can use.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2173056
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by heir4c View Post
    That 160GB HD, is that a USB HD? If it is a usb Hard Drive, read this topic. Maybe you can find something that you can use.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2173056
    No, is not an USB HD, is a regular PCI disk. I was wondering if the size of the initrd.img's have anything to do with the issue. All the older ones have sizes around 20MB, while the one in question is 24MB.

Beans
    Distro

It's strange, I installed today a mini.iso on my second HD (intern) and have grub installed on the second HD because I want to boot via the BIOS-menu and than choose the second HD to boot. But It messed up or something like that because when I try to boot from the second HD and choose the first Ubuntu in the list than he start up my old Ubuntu and not the mini.iso. Then when I boot up from the first HD and choose the first Ubuntu he can't find the Drive. (the second for booting the mini.iso install I guess) He gives a UUID number (I think the second HD UUID I don't check it) and then he stop. So it's the same, just without the message of the read or write outside of disk. So he first install the grub not to the sdb but on the sda and then he can't find the second HD. Very strange. (first HD 250GB and second 160GB)
    I used the BIOS boot for the install above the UEFI boot (for booting the usb to install the mini.iso). (motherboard 2years old).
    Last edited by heir4c; October 21st, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by heir4c View Post
    It's strange, I installed today a mini.iso on my second HD (intern) and have grub installed on the second HD because I want to boot via the BIOS-menu and than choose the second HD to boot. But It messed up or something like that because when I try to boot from the second HD and choose the first Ubuntu in the list than he start up my old Ubuntu and not the mini.iso. Then when I boot up from the first HD and choose the first Ubuntu he can't find the Drive. (the second for booting the mini.iso install I guess) He gives a UUID number (I think the second HD UUID I don't check it) and then he stop. So it's the same, just without the message of the read or write outside of disk. So he first install the grub not to the sdb but on the sda and then he can't find the second HD. Very strange. (first HD 250GB and second 160GB)
    I used the BIOS boot for the install above the UEFI boot (for booting the usb to install the mini.iso). (motherboard 2years old).
    I have two disks: the first one sda (hd0?) is fixed and the second one sdb (hd1?) is removable but not USB. I have Ubuntu and grub installed in the removable because in the first one I have XP and I want to be able to replace the removable with a DVD burning drive (the main optical drive does not burn DVDs) and burn using windows, so in my BIOS the booting order is first the removable and if that is not there then the fixed one. This arrangement has been working fine for quite a few years, is just this kernel that is giving me problems. I wonder if there is something "hardwired" in the kernel that assumes that system is installed in hd0.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I think the same. I have also kernel 3.11 on the mini.iso. So, tomorrow I will install the mini.iso of 12.04 (or 13.04) instead of 13.10, than I can see if it boot up with the right settings (install on sdb5 and grub on sdb).
    Last edited by heir4c; October 21st, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I install the mini.iso 13.04 (because the 12.04 has an error in the iso)
    I install the grub on the sdb and it would not work. I made a mistake. I saw on the partitionmanager (text based) that the installing was on sdd 5 instead of sdb5, because I had 2 usb plugged in. So when I installed grub on the sdb it go wrong.
    So, I reinstalled the mini.iso of 13.10 on sdd5 and grub on sdd and it work now.

Normally when grub is installed he do that by default on the first HD in the computer. You reinstalled grub on the sdb so it can't be a mistake like I did.

Strange problem. Weird is that he mentioned hd0, because that is your first HD (sda). And no Ubuntu or grub is on that one.
    Can you remove the new kernel (when you boot up with a previous kernel)?
    Maybe you can remove the first HD (320GB) and boot up from the 160GB HD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

From grub or BIOS the boot drive is always hd0. So if directly booting sdb, the the entry of hd0 would be correct. If booting from grub in sda as hd0 then hd1 would be correct.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    From grub or BIOS the boot drive is always hd0. So if directly booting sdb, the the entry of hd0 would be correct. If booting from grub in sda as hd0 then hd1 would be correct.
    This makes sense, otherwise all other kernels in the grub list would be wrongly specified, that incidentally have all the same parameters as the one giving the problem. I think is something in the kernel that is broken.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielsender View Post
    This makes sense, otherwise all other kernels in the grub list would be wrongly specified, that incidentally have all the same parameters as the one giving the problem. I think is something in the kernel that is broken.
    Somehow old remains of proprietary nvidia drivers were the culprit for this behaviour. I removed all these nvidia* packages and re-installed the nouveau driver and I can now boot that kernel. In any case the nvidia driver that would work with my machine is not longer supported by ubuntu (96.x.x).

As I showed in another posting ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12824848 ) the low resolution problem still remains, and it seems to be due to some error shown in the Xorg.0.log file that I attached in that posting.
    Code:
    [    39.159] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled
    I wonder what this message means.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast