Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 14.04 codename released trusty tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: 14.04 codename released trusty tahr

If I try to imagine myself as dyslexic I can live with it. 'Thar she blows' as Captain Ahab said when he seen the white whale. Also , tahr might be cryptic tounge for a laughing pirate, ie; Aye .. 'tahr ahr ahr there matey' responded the salty old pirate with the wooden leg when he heard the joke about etc... lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Homonym with Tar

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post
    It's a mistake to name an operating system something that is a homonym with Tar.

That is bad luck, IMO, as tar is what most animals get stuck in, never to emerge, and die.

One of the biggest tourist attractions in Los Angeles is the La Brea Tar Pits, in which hundreds of ice age animals (sabre tooth tigers, woolly mammoths) got stuck in the tar and were excavated millenia later.

Is that the image of the next (K)Ubuntu version that must come to my mind each time I pronounce the name? I realise it's supposed to be a long-term version, but... really?

In a world in which most people can't spell English words anyway (look no farther than the Ubuntu help website (https://help.ubuntu.com/) where Salamander is spelled Salemander), homonyms are extremely important to consider. Trusty Tahr ("Trusty Tar") is a mistake. Naming it that really gets my goat.
    No fear.

Everyone will simply call it 'Trusty'...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think that Icelandic vikings has named this goat Tahr when they sailed Himalayas rivers.
    They used word like:
    brattr "steep"
    djúpr "deep"

Beans
    Distro

Got your goat !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Trusty Tahr sounds fair enough I guess. I was hoping for something a little more rough like Turrible Tiger or something like that.

I got the "Turrible" from Charles Barkley a former pro basketball player and announcer. He's always saying well that's just turrible! LoL.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; October 20th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Homonym with Tar

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post
    It's a mistake to name an operating system something that is a homonym with Tar.

That is bad luck, IMO, as tar is what most animals get stuck in, never to emerge, and die.
    Plus, tar is bad for your health. Not only are you confronted with it when walking past "live" construction sites (to the nerds: yes you do have to physically walk out your door to experience this), no, you will also inhale it if you're hooked on "traditional" cigarettes. And boost up your risk for cancer by the dozen at the same time.

And now consider that "health" can also be associated with "sane system", there you have it right there...
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; October 20th, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Tahr is an animal pest in NZ. What will the Department of Conservation think if they hear me saying I have a tahr or two at home???

/me wanders off, feeling extremely worried...
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234