Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix : Asus WiFi Disabled (Hard-blocked), Fn+F2 won't work

Beans

Re: Fix : Asus WiFi Disabled (Hard-blocked), Fn+F2 won't work

Hi,
    I followed the procedure. Now I can use wifi by enabling it with enable wifi button into the connection menu of applet indicator. The trick for the key does not work. I have a asus F550C notebook and I already reported the bugs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erotavlas View Post
    The trick for the key does not work..
    Do you mean binding the "rfkill" command with xbindkeys? Please post the output of -
    Code:
    rfkill list all
    ..so that I can suggest the exact command to try. If the command works, binding it should also work, unless it is the "xbindkeys" program itself that is not working for some reason.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Tnx, dude . This workaround works just fine on my Asus R510C.
    I posted a bugreport on the links you mentioned.

Beans

Welcome to the forums ghiwani,

Found email notifications about your comments on bug report pages, thanks for taking time to do that!

I wonder how much heat it is going to take for the developers to finally address the bug on urgent basis and finally fix it
    Varun

Beans

Hey, I just joined the forums to say thank you soooooo much for this work around.

This same wireless problem has been bugging me for months. This is the first solution that worked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adam60 View Post
    Hey, I just joined the forums to say thank you soooooo much for this work around.

This same wireless problem has been bugging me for months. This is the first solution that worked.
    That is so nice of you Adam!

Thank you for the feedback, and Welcome to Ubuntu Forums !!
    Varun

Beans

Thaks a lot worked perfectly with brand new ASUS x550cc
    Juat after installing Kubuntu 13.01

Thanks!

Beans

I'm glad the post could help so many, and Welcome to the forums domestitus !

By the way, all credits go to my guru dr. chili555 who originally dug up the magic parameter, I just wrote down the steps in the post.
    Varun

Beans

Hi All,

I'm an upstream kernel developer who happened to stumble over this forum thread. The proper solution here is to add a dmi based quirk to the asus-nb-wmi driver to use wapf=4 by default. Note the wapf=4 not wapf=1 which everyone has been testing with sofar.

I would like to add a proper fix for this to the upstream kernel (which should then eventually find its way to the ubuntu kernels when ubuntu switches to a newer kernel).

I need your help for this. First of all please adjust the workaround with the /etc/modprobe.d/asus_nb_wmi.conf file to set wapf to 4. Then reboot and test that wifi still works, and if you've bluetooth and that that also works.

Once you've confirmed that everything is fine with wapf=4, run the following command:

cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name

From a terminal and add a post here with the output of this command. Then I can add a quirk for your model to asus-nb-wmi.c and send a patch upstream.

Thanks,

Hans

Beans

Hello Hans,

If this proves to be of any help, I'd love to edit my instructions to use wapf=4 instead of 1, plus the additional recommendation to provide the dmi id here for permanent solution per model. But I would like you to please confirm first how value 4 is better than value 1. Does it enable the Fn+F2 key combo? Is it to make sure that bluetooth works too which you think doesn't work with value '1'? Or is there some other advantage that is going to help you behind the scenes?

I'm asking this because before posting this thread, we had tested the variations 0-9 many times with different users (all the way knowing that officially supported values are 0, 1 and 4, where they respectively mean hardware/hardware, hardware/software and software/software for bluetooth/wireless interfaces), and in all the tests (no less than 4 different machines), anything but 0 made the wireless work, but never enabled the 'Fn+F2' function. Bluetooth was never blocked (as per "rfkill list" output) with any value, if I remember correctly.

So if you are concerned that value 4 is required to ensure bluetooth functionality, I would be curious to know why you think so. Do you have some evidence/feedback that bluetooth is blocked with value 1 and not with 4? I may try to look back at some posts myself if you wish, although I can't guarantee due to lack of time.

So please answer these questions if you have time to -

1) If it doesn't make Fn+F2 work, then why do you want value 4 instead of 1 in the patch?

2) Do you have some evidence to support whatever reason you have to prefer value 4 over 1?

3) Since both bug reports so far direct to this thread (first post) for a workaround, can I help the cause in any way? (except blindly changing posts without knowing 'Why')

Thanks for taking time to look into this, it's very encouraging to interact directly with a developer regarding the issue.
    Varun

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast