Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black screen after login Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Black screen after login Ubuntu 13.10

Hello Ubuntu forums,
    I know my way around Linux, so I'm not a complete noob but still, I don't know that much...

So, last monday, I decided to install Windows 7 on my PC and I figured, I'll wait a few days for Ubuntu 13.10 to launch so I can dual-boot it.
    I cleanly installed Windows 7 over XP and it worked flawlessly. So naturally, I shrank my volume for 25 GB and installed Ubuntu 13.10.
    When I boot my PC the Grub menu shows up, I select Ubuntu and everything works fine...
    But then, after I login with my password the screen goes black with only the mouse still on it. It works for a few seconds, then freezes, and finally disappears.
    Here am I with my black screen... Nothing to do but restart.

I think this is a driver problem with my nVidia Graphics card (Specs below). But I was amazed when I found out the live CD works just fine.
    So maybe something went wrong with the installation? *NOTE* I didn't install the 3rd party drivers.

Conclusion: I want to fix my black screen but I can't install any additional software from within Ubuntu, because I can't do anything in Ubuntu.
    Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    CPU: AMD Athlon Dual Core 7550 2.5 GHz
    RAM: 2 Gb
    GPU: nVidia GeForce 6150se nForce 430

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that I used Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.04 installed with WUBI and it worked just fine.
    Last edited by Arne_Reijntjes; October 18th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Beans

Re: Help! Black screen after login Ubuntu 13.10

Hello, unlike Arne, I am new to Ubuntu and I upgraded yesterday from 13.04 to 13.10. All seemed to go well and after rebooting I could work on old documents and after some time I shut down. This afternoon I opened my PC, and booting with Ubuntu (I also have windows 7) things looked well and I entered my password and then the black screen with the mouse.
    I tried booting with Advanced booting but whatever I tried, I never got any further. Right now I have no idea what to do. If I install fresh from Windows, will I be able to open the documents that are right now in my computer? They are now hidden when I open Windows.

I have an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz Processor
    2 GB Ram
    and a NVidia GeForce 210

So my question is: can I re-install Ubuntu through Windows and then somehow overriding the existing one?
    ton baars

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Black screen after login Ubuntu 13.10

Normally we prefer to deal with one question in each thread, but as both of you are using Nvidia we might be able to do it in one go.

First, I am not sure I understand completely. Are these installs dual-boot (Buntu next to Windows) or Wubi (Buntu running in Windows)?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Thanks for this, I installed mine through Windows, and I have seen the word WUBI, so I guess that is what I did. As I mentioned I am rather new and especially some termonology is beyond my current understanding. When I open the computer I get to a black screen with the choice between booting using Window or Ubuntu. I was able to make Ubuntu the default boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I don't know Wubi as I don't have any Windows installations. Your best option is the Wubi megatread.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

this happened to me after upgrading from 13.04, I held down the windows key and everything appeared and works fine, it may not be a permanent fix but its a walkaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Believe Wubi is not supported for 13.10

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...u-with-windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Believe Wubi is not supported for 13.10
    Maybe not supported, but released...

Last edited by hakuna_matata; October 20th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Beans

After trying several things I decided to un install and re install and now it boots up normally. I did loose a few photos and documents that I made with the first set up, so in the future I hope that I won't have to do this again, or have a back up system in place. Thanks for suggestions.
    ton baars

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Have the same issue but only for a few seconds. Appears to be affecting other users!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast