Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Beans
    5

    13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    Hello.

    I've just finished upgrading the system from 13.04 to 13.10, and now I am facing a problem of weird pulseaudio behavior: the sound goes REALLY choppy, everything is just impossible to be heard. Just some scratchy-weirdy noises. Basically, it looks like the problem is caused by the sound latency on pulse 4.0, cause skype with 30/60ms goes without any problem. The only thing which fixes the problem until some other sound starts playing is to change the sound output and get it back using the sound control in system settings. Also, Flash sound doesn't work whenever you try to trigger it.

    If there is a need of posting some logs, please, tell me which ones should be taken and sent here.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    EU - UK
    Beans
    3,351
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    You could try reseting your pulseaudio configuration, by deleting the folder .pulse (i.e. in your home folder press CTRL+H or select View -> Show Hidden Files from the menu to be able to find that folder) and then logging out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    You could try reseting your pulseaudio configuration, by deleting the folder .pulse (i.e. in your home folder press CTRL+H or select View -> Show Hidden Files from the menu to be able to find that folder) and then logging out.
    That didn't help. At all. Even purging + installing again didn't help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    EU - UK
    Beans
    3,351
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutionv8-5 View Post
    That didn't help. At all. Even purging + installing again didn't help.
    Try to configure your audio in the ubuntu sound settings again; try every device, every port and generally every possible configuration. Also, if your volume level is above 100% try lowering it a bit.

    You could also check your alsa volume levels in alsamixer (CTRL+F2 or in terminal give alsamixer to run it), and you could for example try lowering PCM, although generally pulseaudio sets those levels automatically.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Try to configure your audio in the ubuntu sound settings again; try every device, every port and generally every possible configuration. Also, if your volume level is above 100% try lowering it a bit.

    You could also check your alsa volume levels in alsamixer (CTRL+F2 or in terminal give alsamixer to run it), and you could for example try lowering PCM, although generally pulseaudio sets those levels automatically.
    Neither. The problem is definitely pulseaudio 4.0 itself, cause I'm running Live 13.10 and encountering the same issues.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    EU - UK
    Beans
    3,351
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutionv8-5 View Post
    Neither. The problem is definitely pulseaudio 4.0 itself, cause I'm running Live 13.10 and encountering the same issues.
    What is the hardware?:
    Code:
    aplay -l

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    168

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    I also have this problem, cracking sound come from speakers, and adding
    Code:
    load-module module-udev-detect tshced=0
    didn't help.

    restarting pulseaudio didn't help either:
    pulseaudio -k
    pulseaudio --start

    Also tried those fixes, but didn't work: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/PositionReporting Sound is cracking every few seconds even when no applications are running. Crackling noise disappears if I mute sound, but it does not disappear if I make sound on lowest setting possible.
    Last edited by childintime; November 16th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    3

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    Something is weird with the communication between pulseaudio and the alsa-drivers. I use ubuntu-studio for audio production with jack, and found that the jack-sink for pulseaudio works well. There's no sync problem when jack sits between pulseaudio and alsa. Whatever I do to make pulseaudio use the same samplerate (48k) and formats (s24le) as jack makes no difference. Standalone pulseaudio with direct connection to alsa is useless with any of my audio-adapters (Intel HDA, Roland 2ch USB, Behringer X32 mixer w/32ch USB, Soundcraft digital mixer w/32ch FW, Presonus 8ch USB).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    4

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    i also have the same problem on fresh 13.10 install and the latest skype :/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: 13.04 -> 13.10 = Choppy/Crappy sound with Pulseaudio

    I have also been having issues with choppy sound in Kubuntu 13.10, with none of the old fixes (tsched=0) working. Your suggestion, heldal2, works though, I have found that by using jack as the interop layer between pulseaudio and alsa the playback is clean. For anyone else wanting to do the same, I followed the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...udioIntro/1204

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •