Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrades on ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: upgrades on ubuntu 12.04 LTS

You can of course keep Ubuntu 12.04LTS until 2017 but upgrades are only possible from 6-month release to 6-month release or from LTS release to LTS release. So from 12.04 LTS you can only upgrade to 12.10 or 14.04 LTS.
    You could thus go from 12.04 to 14.04 to 16.04 to 16.10 to 17.04. It would probably be a bit of a hassle. (Also I don't see how you can have 1,500 beans and still ask that question...)
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you use the update manager to update, you'll see the available updates neatly ordered in categories, like security, proposed etc. Use the tickboxes to select the updates you want.

Incidentally, 17.04 won't be an LTS release (at least, isn't planned to be). So if one doesn't want to upgrade and stick with 12.04 for as long as possible, don't change to 17.04 when the time's there, but choose 16.04.

By the way, the number of beans if just the number of posts on the support sections of the forum. So from your number of beans we could already see you were new.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
    (Also I don't see how you can have 1,500 beans and still ask that question...)
    Irrelevant. Do not judge a coffee pot by amount of beans, please. Different users have skills in different areas. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Since 12.04 is 5 year support can we keep it to 17.04 and directly upgrade or do we have to do the 14.04 first?
    Sort of an off topic question, but there was discussion back when the changed the support time for non-LTS releases, to let users upgrade to a newer LTS from any release, instead of the current way, which is to upgrade either from the last LTS or the release immediately prior.
    The jury is still out on that one.
    You can find this by looking for the reports from the Ubuntu technical board.
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/03/19/...Ubuntu+News%29
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Irrelevant. Do not judge a coffee pot by amount of beans, please. Different users have skills in different areas. Thanks.
    True!

My favorite example: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post11333260

~ Mint's Clement Lefebvre (9 posts)
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I did know you could go from LTS to LTS but 12.04 was I believe the first 5 yr support release that was why I wondered if you could go 5 yrs then upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I did know you could go from LTS to LTS but 12.04 was I believe the first 5 yr support release that was why I wondered if you could go 5 yrs then upgrade
    That wouldn't work because you would be skipping an LTS...so if you wait 5 years then you would need to do TWO upgrades...Sure, you will be able to go from 12.04 to 14.04 but you wouldn't be able to go from 12.04 to 16.04 in one step...

If you want to stay LTS with upgrades, your best bet would be to upgrade into each new LTS (which is every 2 years)...

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    That wouldn't work because you would be skipping an LTS...so if you wait 5 years then you would need to do TWO upgrades...Sure, you will be able to go from 12.04 to 14.04 but you wouldn't be able to go from 12.04 to 16.04 in one step...

If you want to stay LTS with upgrades, your best bet would be to upgrade into each new LTS (which is every 2 years)...
    I haven't read anything on it, but I be willing to bet two beans that when it comes time we can upgrade straight to 16.04

However I would recommend fresh as opposed to a 2/4 year old upgrade. Just a good time to clean house

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Rather the LTS, i found a neat way to roll into each new ubuntu release without having to re-install all my programs and apps...using the iso installer's upgrade option (i am talking about on the live session iso, not using the software updater upgrade option)...this option i understand is only offered if you run only 1 ubuntu (not multi-ubuntus)...which is what i do...so no house cleaning needed for me
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181643

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Rather the LTS, i found a neat way to roll into each new ubuntu release without having to re-install all my programs and apps...using the iso installer's upgrade option (i am talking about on the live session iso, not using the software updater upgrade option)...this option i understand is only offered if you run only 1 ubuntu (not multi-ubuntus)...which is what i do...so no house cleaning needed for me
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181643
    I guess now that we are over the gonme2 to gnome3 transgression, rolling releases are a good way to go. I haven't used the live cd in a few years, just the mini.iso.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast