Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version of Ubuntu / Lubuntu would be best? (newbie linux user)

Beans

Which version of Ubuntu / Lubuntu would be best? (newbie linux user)

I have an old windows xp laptop that i want to try out Linux on - the laptops main roles will be watching mpeg vids, listening to mp3s and web surfing, with some occasional light office use - the machine itself is a dual core pentium Lenovo laptop, with one gig of RAM - I've tried a couple of live cds out on my Windows 7 laptop - Ubuntu 13.04 and Lubuntu 12.04.03 lxle - on the newer laptop they both work easily well - my question is....... are the specs of the older machine good enough to run Ubuntu?..... or, should I go for the Lubuntu lxle which advertises itself as suitable for older machines?.... or is there another variant of ubuntu which would fit the bill better?

Beans

Re: Which version of Ubuntu / Lubuntu would be best? (newbie linux user)

I suspect that Ubuntu and Kubuntu would be too heavy for it. Xubuntu and Lubuntu should be OK though. I suggest that you give the live CDs a try - they are quite different and personal preference for the "look and feel" will probably feature strongly in your choice.
    I think version 13.10 is due out tomorrow.

Beans

Should have added that i haven't been able to try out the live CDs on the old laptop as of yet because its at my holiday flat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I agree; try Xubuntu as it is very easily configured to whatever you want, or Lubuntu if you're prepared to do a bit more manual text-file editing for configuration of the desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Or pick the one that has the user interface between xfce and lxde that you prefer between them.

Beans

Right - think I will take live CDs of Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu and try them out when I get to the flat. Will see which one is easiest on the laptop and easiest on me (have been using Windows solely since Win 3.1). Hopefully I will be able to add a post here from the laptop once I'm up and running. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ubuntu 13.04 will only be supported for 9 months, that is until 3 months from now ...
    Today the new Ubuntu, 13.10 will be released, which will als be supported for 9 months.
    So I suggest you just wait until this release, which is a question of minutes, or maybe hours.

If you install one of the ubuntu's you can also install the desktop of the others on top and can choose which one you want to use.
    It is not or or, but and.

Eg.: if you install Ubuntu, you can after that install, in the terminal (easiest method)

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

and you have and Ubuntu, and xubuntu on your computer.

Topsiho

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

it really depends a lot on the graphics chip. since newer desktops found in Ubuntu, Kubuntu use compoziting (and 3D acceleration). Both still have sort of fallback mode available. Kubuntu is most windows like out of the box. you might give zorin OS a try since it's interface looks like win7.

not to say that Lubuntu and Xubuntu can't be reconfigured a bit to also look like windows. but the way desktop Kubuntu works is more like windows (control panel, clicking apply to mkae changes etc.).

in the end all is a matter of personal preference.

xubuntu would probbaly run very good and it's really easy to use and reconfigure if you would like a different look.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I also suggest Xubuntu, It's a good OS, and If I had to end up using a lower end computer. It would be my OS of choice. Lubuntu is for much slower systems I had it running very well on a PII 450Mhz.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu 13.10 has one very obvious bug: The volume control in the top panel is not working, and it's not clear when a fix will be released. There are workarounds, but for some users this bug alone might push the decision towards Lubuntu.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast