Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Legacy drivers on 13.10

Beans

Re: AMD Legacy drivers on 13.10

it might be an issue of the upgrading the testing machine, thx for test result!

probably after some more test results I'll make a ppa bundle with this to be easier to install

Guide updated!
    Last edited by ziktofel; October 22nd, 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Beans

ziktofel : I can't be more thankfull than I am now. You just make my day a lot better.

Thank you so much for this workarround. Just installed the debs following the order you wrote and reboot my 13.10 Desktop. ¡¡¡ Now it works Again !!! flowlessly, tty's works like a charm too, boot screen just like it used to be. no changes excepts that graphics have beed speed up like the have to.

If it's usefull for you, I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 x64 on a AMD Athlon X6, 8GB RAM DDR800, Asus M3N-HT board, and powered by an ATI RADEON HD 4950 1GB DDR3. feel free to ask any dump/log if you want to (and can explain me how to run it

Best regards.

Beans

Ziktofel I have a Ati Radeon mobility hd 4200 series card and am running ubuntu 13.10. I followed all your step and install the package via terminal running the command sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb and when I rebooted the computer the boot screen was missing with you stated but the ttys do work. The system boots to the login screen fine despite that the boot screen is missing however when I attempt to login in to my user account it goes to a blank black screen and then flashes back to the login in screen I attempted this several times with no change I had to remove the packages by using the tty and then reboot. You help would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Beans

try:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    after installing the debs

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

cordam1996, I had this same problem so I copied /etc/X11 from a 13.10 live cd to my hdd to get a working GUI. Got my desktop back and I have just been researching the problem only to find the same solutions. I have an integrated Radeon 3100. Therefore, I will use the open source drivers until a good fglrx-legacy is available for 13.10. I was enjoying the extra settings that come with ATI Catalyst Control Center but I would much rather have a function machine. I am using Lubuntu 13.10 on my production desktop and the increased system performance is just too much to downgrade to 13.04 just for display drivers. Hope this helps.

~LuvLinuxOS~
    Last edited by LuvLinuxOS; October 30th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Beans

Thank you for the reply LuvLinuxOS. So basically what your saying is that I have to use the open-source drivers. I was trying to get the proprietary drivers because the performance of playing games in Linux is very sluggish when using the open-source drivers

Beans

Nice ziktofel! Would you make one for the 32bit aswell?

Beans

I still cannot seem to get this to work even with the suggestion by LuvLinuxOS. Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Cordam1996 did you mount your hdd, then from a LXTerminal sudo su, then delete the folder /etc/X11 on you hdd, then copy the folder from the live cd to your hdd!!! It worked beautifully for me and I had some crucial data at stake in my encrypted home folder. Can you boot to a prompt? If so, you might have to apt-get purge fglrx* then do the copy from live cd. My bad as I was trying to remember what I did from the top of my head.... Again I hope this helps!!!

~LuvLinuxOS~
    Last edited by LuvLinuxOS; October 30th, 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

I didn't delete it. It asked to merge I'll try again with deleting it. However is this so I can get into my desktop while continuing to use the properitary drivers or to get back to the open source one.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast