Thread: Desktop is tracers of windows--no background image

Beans

Desktop is tracers of windows--no background image

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit on a new System76 Lemur. I have set up full-disk encryption, as well as encrypted the home directory.

Tried searching for this, but unsure what terms to use. I was applying updates over a slow connection two nights ago. Before I started the updates, I looked to see what they were and unchecked all the OpenVC updates because I was a little unnerverd about downloading facial recognition related libraries before reading a little more about them. After the updates, my desktop backgroud went away, including on the login screen, and now the desktop shows tracers of all windows over it. So, I tried to make sure I could install the OpenCV updates, but apt-get was having issues with the Medibuntu repos. I found that those had been taken offline, so I removed them, added the new repo for Libdvdcss or whatever it's called.

Still not having luck I reinstalled all the OpenCV libraries, Compiz and the System76 drivers. Still no luck. Behind the tracers is a black desktop, no matter what I set the desktop background to be. In addition, the icons on the desktop and their titles are pixelated. This happens both on the laptop screen and on an external display.

There's a video (21.1 MB mp4) of the issue at http://youtu.be/nLWElNdi6D4 -- It's almost done processing as I click save.

Any thoughts on what's going on here?
    Last edited by csuggs4; October 16th, 2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: UbuntuOne seems abad place for this video

Beans

Re: Desktop is tracers of windows--no background image

Also tried installing the Compiz Fusion icon to restart Compiz, but the fusion icon always crashes when I try to open it.

Beans

Re: Desktop is tracers of windows--no background image

Correction:

The login screen does display the proper desktop background image. It's the locked sreen that shows vertical lines instead of whatever it showed before.