Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 13.10 released tomorrow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Africa, Secunda
    Beans
    135
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    13.10 released tomorrow

    Then we get 13.10, looking forward to it as usual.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    5,683

    Re: Tomorrow is just one day away :)

    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery. But today is a gift. That's why it's called present.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Beans
    11,480
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Tomorrow is just one day away :)

    Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    Then we get 13.10, looking forward to it as usual.
    I've never quite understood the obsession with "release dates" for open-source projects. Ubuntu 13.10's official release date is tomorrow, but it's perfectly easy to install it one day earlier, or a week earlier, or a month earlier. There aren't any functional changes in the last month, only bugfixes. Ubuntu 13.10 is already out and usable today; tomorrow is just another date.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /Europe/Netherlands
    Beans
    401
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Tomorrow is just one day away :)

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I've never quite understood the obsession with "release dates" for open-source projects. Ubuntu 13.10's official release date is tomorrow, but it's perfectly easy to install it one day earlier, or a week earlier, or a month earlier. There aren't any functional changes in the last month, only bugfixes. Ubuntu 13.10 is already out and usable today; tomorrow is just another date.
    I do understand the 'obsession' and find it a bit sad that the excitement from earlier releases (count down timers etc.) has gone. Understandable also as there are not so many exciting new features.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Beans
    0

    Re: Tomorrow is just one day away :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    I do understand the 'obsession' and find it a bit sad that the excitement from earlier releases (count down timers etc.) has gone. Understandable also as there are not so many exciting new features.
    Yeah, it seems people aren't as excited about new releases as they used to be.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavík, Ísland
    Beans
    11,353
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: 13.10 released tomorrow

    People are probably realising that if they have the choice they should wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month after the official release before installing (unless the old system is dead or dying, which makes it worthwhile to take the chance).
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /Europe/Netherlands
    Beans
    401
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: 13.10 released tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    People are probably realising that if they have the choice they should wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month after the official release before installing (unless the old system is dead or dying, which makes it worthwhile to take the chance).
    True, but I think it's more than that. I never installed on release day (I am the type of user that rather waits a week) but I was still very much looking forward to release day and read all the responses. Installation experiences of other users and reviews by tech sites. There doesn't seem to be so much 'buzz' this time. I'm still excited but don't see it around me in the Ubuntu/Linux scene. Maybe this is also a sign how far Ubuntu has come, improvements are taken for granted.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Beans
    764

    Re: 13.10 released tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    People are probably realising that if they have the choice they should wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month after the official release before installing (unless the old system is dead or dying, which makes it worthwhile to take the chance).
    Heck I switched over to arch because 5 minutes maintenance after a full system upgrade occassionally is better than a huge upgrade every 6 months imo. Not to mention that ppas have to specify a ubuntu release and most aren't ready right away at release time. All this could be fixed by using lts but i'm a sucker for the newest stuff
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    2,887

    Re: 13.10 released tomorrow

    Bring on 14.04 time for more breakage!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    8,020
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: 13.10 released tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    True, but I think it's more than that. I never installed on release day (I am the type of user that rather waits a week) but I was still very much looking forward to release day and read all the responses. Installation experiences of other users and reviews by tech sites. There doesn't seem to be so much 'buzz' this time. I'm still excited but don't see it around me in the Ubuntu/Linux scene. Maybe this is also a sign how far Ubuntu has come, improvements are taken for granted.
    OMG Ubuntu often seems to be the place for "buzz". Give it a day or so

    Another type of "buzz" is here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/10/u...hone-ringtones
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •